CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

A little non feeder....

Old 10-04-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
angelcornsnake
A little non feeder....

Hello,

I decided to create a new topic in this forum instead if the behaviour problems one because the issue now is just with feeding, not behabiour.

My little 4 month old corn snake seems to be settling in but i tried feeding her twice with no luck. First time the day i got her on Sunday night... big mistake. Then again today.

She's been much better, not as shy but still hiding all the time. She's moved around the hides but not really roaming when we are around. She's got used to me now. I took her out for a 5 minutes yesterday, when i was alone, in very low lighting, and she was ok and today I handled her again and she was very very happy to just explore my hands or sit and chill on there. We offered my husband's hands but she'd turn round and want to climb back on mine. So all good. When I saw her wanting to start exploring away from my hands I slowly let her go back in the viv. She explored a bit and then chose to sit in the warm hide.

An hour later, with very low lighting, I slightly lifted the hide a little bit and offered her the pinky (thawed and warmed up a bit under warm water and pat dried with kitchen towel). She didn't really see the tongs because I slowly put the pinky through the hide entrance. She sniffed and licked but left it. Then I placed the toilet paper roll at the entrance of the hide and put the pinky right at the edge of it next to her. All lights off she's been alone since but I sneakily checked and she's having none of this. She just won't eat.

I tried slap teasing her, wriggling the mouse a little, leaving her with it overnight... nothing. She hasn't missed a feed before apparently.

Next time I won't handle her on feeding at all. If that fails, maybe I will put her in the small plastic box in which I brought her home and offer her the pinky in there but then again that would be a new place for her an she will be stressed again :/. I don't know what else to do. She was feeding fine before i got her.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Old 10-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
DollysMom
How often are you string to feed. How soon did you try to feed after bring your snake home?

A four month old has presumably been feeding. The change of scenery and/or the travel can throw them off their feed. Give at least 5 days with no disturbance except to change water. Then try a pinkie warmed to about 98 degrees in a covered deli cup with air holes. Put a paper towel loosely over the deli cup. Do this just after dark and leave the snake completely alone for at least 4 hours. If all goes well this will result in a missing mouse and very round snake tummy.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
Also, some snakes will refuse food if they are about to shed, or if the temperatures in their cage are not conducive to proper digestion.

Make sure you have a temperature gradient within the cage, Room temp (about 70 to 74 degrees) on one side, and a warmed side (about 82 to 88 degrees) on the other side. The higher temps are needed for digestion. If a snake senses the temps are too cool, it may not eat.

Also, since you just acquired the snake, you probably do not know its full history, including last time it shed? If it's about to shed, it may refuse to eat as well.

Probably nothing to worry about just yet. Snakes can live a very long time without food. Check your temps, and observe for shedding. Wait a week or so and try to feed again.

The snake will eat when it's ready.

If you don't see any shed, and you're sure the temps are right, after several weeks, you might want to visit a vet.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
daddio207
I'm always excited to see new snake hobbyist! welcome and congrats.
I quickly read this and one of your other threads. You have already been given all the advice needed so mine will be just reinforcement of it.

You posted " So I got my little butter motley 4 month old Daisy on Sunday 1st October"
3 days is not sufficient time to allow the snake to "settle in"
Shiara advised "She is stressed out. Missing a meal or two isn't going to harm her. Leave her alone *completely* except to change her water every few days, for at least a week"
I AGREE ! AND also You stressing over her eating is causing the hatchling to stress ! It's been 3 days. Start over and leave her alone for the next week.

Karl could be correct about shedding...
The pic you posted where she looks "blue" could be the fact that she is actually "in blue" or more accurately she is in the first phase of the shed cycle and is the reason she won't eat. Some will eat but it is highly discouraged to feed during the shed cycle. Giving her a week alone will determine if she is in fact going to shed.

Follow Dollysmom advice for feeding for your first attempt IN A WEEK !

Old 10-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Twolunger
You have received some good advice already, and given a little time I'm sure she will eat. However, after reading your posts I didn't notice if you contacted the breeder to ask how he/she was feeding her. Was the breeder using a rack system to house her, if in a vivarium what substrate was used, what hides did the breeder use? I sold a 2 month old snow and the buyer contacted me a week later saying she wouldn't eat. I ran through the typical care requirements, heating, etc. and all seemed okay, so I told the buyer to give her some time to acclimate. 3 weeks later the buyer said she still had not eaten. I replaced the corn with an older one and the buyer sent the non-eater back to me. I put her back in her previous container in my rack and offered her a pinkie, which she ripped right off my tongs. I sent a picture to the buyer, who couldn't believe it. So you can see how a change in housing may affect a snake.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
DollysMom
Just another thought to hopefully encourage you. Everyone here has at one point been very worried about a baby snake just doing what baby snakes do, which is hide all day. Don’t worry about acclimating your snake to handling. That will come in due time. So will your “snake sense” that allows you to see and assess what is going on with your snake and know how to handle it. Everyone who has responded has at the least a couple of years experience and most have dealt with one or more babies that didn’t eat at first. We do understand how difficult it can be. Hang in there. We are cheering you on!

Old 10-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Also, some snakes will refuse food if they are about to shed, or if the temperatures in their cage are not conducive to proper digestion.

Make sure you have a temperature gradient within the cage, Room temp (about 70 to 74 degrees) on one side, and a warmed side (about 82 to 88 degrees) on the other side. The higher temps are needed for digestion. If a snake senses the temps are too cool, it may not eat.

Also, since you just acquired the snake, you probably do not know its full history, including last time it shed? If it's about to shed, it may refuse to eat as well.

Probably nothing to worry about just yet. Snakes can live a very long time without food. Check your temps, and observe for shedding. Wait a week or so and try to feed again.

The snake will eat when it's ready.

If you don't see any shed, and you're sure the temps are right, after several weeks, you might want to visit a vet.
Hello, thank you. Yes temps are ok. She moves more now from one hide to the other. I don't know when she last shed, you're right. I thought her eyes went pale but it was the lighting. I'll try her again on Sunday

Old 10-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
I'm always excited to see new snake hobbyist! welcome and congrats.
I quickly read this and one of your other threads. You have already been given all the advice needed so mine will be just reinforcement of it.

You posted " So I got my little butter motley 4 month old Daisy on Sunday 1st October"
3 days is not sufficient time to allow the snake to "settle in"
Shiara advised "She is stressed out. Missing a meal or two isn't going to harm her. Leave her alone *completely* except to change her water every few days, for at least a week"
I AGREE ! AND also You stressing over her eating is causing the hatchling to stress ! It's been 3 days. Start over and leave her alone for the next week.

Karl could be correct about shedding...
The pic you posted where she looks "blue" could be the fact that she is actually "in blue" or more accurately she is in the first phase of the shed cycle and is the reason she won't eat. Some will eat but it is highly discouraged to feed during the shed cycle. Giving her a week alone will determine if she is in fact going to shed.

Follow Dollysmom advice for feeding for your first attempt IN A WEEK !
Thank you . I will leave her alone till Sunday now.

I'm not sure she's shedding. I think it was the lighting. Anyway we will soon find out!

I will keep you updated!

Old 10-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
You have received some good advice already, and given a little time I'm sure she will eat. However, after reading your posts I didn't notice if you contacted the breeder to ask how he/she was feeding her. Was the breeder using a rack system to house her, if in a vivarium what substrate was used, what hides did the breeder use? I sold a 2 month old snow and the buyer contacted me a week later saying she wouldn't eat. I ran through the typical care requirements, heating, etc. and all seemed okay, so I told the buyer to give her some time to acclimate. 3 weeks later the buyer said she still had not eaten. I replaced the corn with an older one and the buyer sent the non-eater back to me. I put her back in her previous container in my rack and offered her a pinkie, which she ripped right off my tongs. I sent a picture to the buyer, who couldn't believe it. So you can see how a change in housing may affect a snake.
Hello ,

Yes I contacted the breeder. He told me that she was in one of those smaller plastic containers with aspen, water and no hide. She's probably loving the hides now! None of the hatching from this batch had issues feeding but some preferred to not strike feed and she's probably one of them.
He's really good with the animals I have to say. He's got a lot of experience but I didn't follow his advice not to handle her on the day I'm planning to feed her.
So starting again now.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Just another thought to hopefully encourage you. Everyone here has at one point been very worried about a baby snake just doing what baby snakes do, which is hide all day. Don’t worry about acclimating your snake to handling. That will come in due time. So will your “snake sense” that allows you to see and assess what is going on with your snake and know how to handle it. Everyone who has responded has at the least a couple of years experience and most have dealt with one or more babies that didn’t eat at first. We do understand how difficult it can be. Hang in there. We are cheering you on!
Thank you for your advice. I will try again on Sunday. She seems more interested in the tongs than the pinky!

I tried on Sunday when I got her. Mistake, I know. Then left her alone. Then Tuesday and Wednesday I held her and she was chilled. Wednesday night I tried feeding and she wasn't interested.

The breeder told me that she hasn't missed a feed but doesn't remember if she's one of the few that don't like the tongs. For some he had to leave the pinky and let them get on with it.

I don't want to try training pinkie and cutting them up. I know they're dead but I'm not ready for breaking skulls yet Lol!!

Thank you so much for your support! I'm staying away for now and I'll see what she does on Sunday. I would prefer not to move her yo a small pot because of like her yo feed in her tank but I'll try that next if she doesn't feed on Sunday.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google