• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad time of year to buy a corn?

ozone

Hello folks,

My son has been wanting (desparately) a pet for quite some time now. After doing research over the past couple of weeks, we have decided that a corn snake would be an ideal pet for his birthday this month (June 9). This will be our first pet snake.

I have been researching this for a few days now, so some of my assumptions may be incorrect, but my dillemma appears to be as follows:

We want to choose a corn snake for presentation on his birthday next week. My son loves the look of an Aztec or Okeetee, but he is so eager, i know he is willing to settle for less than his ideal choice because. As a relatively patient adult, I'd prefer to not settle for anything less than our ideal choice. :) As I see it, we have two options:

(A) NEWBORNS: if we choose to order a hatchling from a reputable breeder such as SerpenCo or CornUtopia, we will need to wait until August before it will be feeding and ready to ship. The clear disadvantage to this is that my son will have to wait another two months to receive his snake as a gift. At 9 years old, my son is going to be crushed to learn he needs to wait this long to receive his pet snake. The advantage is that we'd be able to choose from a wide variety of morphs and enjoy the experience of nurturing a baby into adulthood (i know that there are no guarantees that the little guy will grow into a gem).

(B) YEARLING / YOUNG SNAKE: if we choose to order a young snake that was born this time last year, the remaining stock at breeders and pet stores appears to be well picked over...leaving perhaps "less than ideal" little critters to choose from. Most of the local reptile specialty shops in my area (San Jose, CA) are down to only 2 or 3 corn snakes. I plan to buy the snake from a breeder, but was just going to the pet store to buy all of the equipment and to hold a snake or two.

The advantage for us snake-owning newbies in choosing a yearling appears to be that we will be getting a snake that is clearly a feeder, has a known temperament, etc, resulting in a slightly easier first time experience. The other advantage is that we get a snake in time for his birthday.

-------
So, I am interested in knowing your opinion on this dillemma, as well as my assumption that last year's stock is truly "picked over", or are there young gems to still be had???

Thank you very much for helping us sort this out!!!
-Chris

Last edited:
Bad time of year

Hey Chris,

I know you are already aware of the IRBA show in San Mateo. What about making a trip up to Berkeley and going to the East Bay Vivarium http://www.eastbayvivarium.com?

I am trying to buy a couple more snakes at the moment too, and yes it’s kinda a bad time of year, but it's getting better. Eggs are starting to pip and some hatchlings should be ready within a few weeks. While corns are pretty easy no matter how you look at it, if you buy a hatchling from Rich or Kathy, they won't let you take home one with feeding problem, so a yearling would just be easier to get now. I personally would think that everything good is gone, but a lot of times corns don't show their true colors as hatchlings, you could find something good, it might just not be at a pet store or with a breeder. I would search the ‘for sale’ boards relentlessly and post wanted ads. I'm sure that there is someone out there with an Okeetee or Aztec for sale!

Otherwise, depending on how old your son is, this would be a chance for a great lesson in patience. Explain your concerns to him (not getting what he 'wants' vs. something in time for his birthday) and let him make the decision whether or not to wait. Sorry to get teacher-y on you; I surely don't mean to tell you how to parent. It’s just a thought.

Good luck in your search!

Hey there Chris. Welcome to the forums and welcome to the hobby! It's good to see you've done your homework for your son's pet in advance. There's much to learn and looking ahead is a great start.

As to your dilemma...to say that all the current stocks are "picked through" and whatnot is not really a fair estimate. The fact is most breeders will tell you that some of their best looking snakes came from those they thought had the least potential. This is part of the great thing about owning corns...sometimes you just never know! I believe that several of the breeders will tell you that they have lots of specimens still available that are top of the line regarding color. Fortunately for you, you were looking at buying a corn from Kathy Love and I can tell you for a fact that she is selling quite a few yearling Okeetees that are great looking at this very moment! You should check them out. I just bought my yearling Snow from Kathy a few weeks ago and I think she's beautiful.

There are some other concerns to consider with taking a hatchling as well. The snake is smaller and will be more fragile physically. Having a young child handle such a small snake could prove troublesome. Often children don't know their own strength and may pull or squeeze too hard. Also, with a smaller snake if it should escape or your son drop it finding the thing will be HORRIBLE. Young snakes also tend to have less of an ability to adapt to new environments. Kathy or Rich won't sell you a hatchling that isn't feeding well (unless you buy right out the shell), but having a corn that has fed successfully for a year versus one that's fed successfully for a few weeks has obvious advantages.

I truly think that there are plenty of good yearlings left to choose from and would recommend going with the older snake. Much to the delight of your son I think this is your best bet. Let some of the veterans chime in here and then make your decision.

David

David & Isis,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I appreciate the assistance that you and this forum has offered (both direct and indirect).

On Sunday, we found and purchased a very cute '03 stripe. I estimate he's about 18-inches in length. Right now he's in his 3-day "quiet" period. I'll take and post pics when he's comfortable.

He is quite dormant during the day (as expected), but moves around a bit shortly after dusk. Not much tongue flicking action yet, but he has pooped twice (yesterday and a little bit today).

I will be taking him to a reptile vet on Friday for his first checkup, and feeding him a f/t pinkie for the first time (well, my first time anyway) later that day.

At this point, I can't tell who is more excited about my son's birthday present - he or I.

Anyway, I can already tell how addicting this is going to be. I can see it now...this time next year I'll be begging the wife to let us have another. :)

She did say last night, "I must admit, I think our little snakie is very cute".

-Chris

Last edited:
Too bad I didn't see your post earlier, I am in Morgan Hill and was thinking of letting go of a really nice (and hardy) 03 Okeetee. But thats OK, maybe I'll keep him around. ;-) Yes, cornsnakes are very addicting! I am expecting 200+ hatchlings this season myself. So if your family becomes hooked you know where you can see a large variety of morphs close to home. I also have a 9 year old son! Good Luck with your stripe.

welcome to the hobby;)
cant wait for the pics of ur lil cutie and happy birthday to ur son:cheers:

Back