• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Miami phase corns and breeding...

darksidemike

Small Time Breeder
Hey everyone, I was thinking of picking up a male juvie miami phase corn snake that I saw in a local add. The person is telling me that miami corns are smaller and leaner than normal corns.. first off is this true? and second, would this affect breeding possibilities with other normal sized corns? I have a female ghost corn that I'd possibly want to breed in the future.. thanks for any help/advice.

I don't think my Miamis are any differently-sized than any other cornsnakes I have. I have four adult Miamis and lots of juveniles. But even an average-sized yearling cornsnake can successfully breed a big adult female, so the size difference is a non-issue.

One thing you should think about, though, is if the Miami doesn't have any hets, you're only going to get normals if you breed her to your ghost female, and they most likely won't even look Miami.

BUT- if you love Miamis, like I do, don't let future breeding plans influence your desire to have one. You can always get a female Miami to go with him!

I've heard that too, that Miami's tend to be a bit smaller than most other Corns. I had one adult & she was a bit on the smaller side. My others are juvies.

Nanci is right though, about the babies from a Miami & Ghost would produce all Normals, that likely won't look Miami.

Nanci could you post a picture of one of your adult miamis? Because I have a baby and want to see how the colors change when they get bigger. I know they dont change too much but im just curious and ive been looking and cant see any pictures that good.

I don't have any regular Miamis, but if you search for Cherry or Milky you can see an adult Milksnake phase.

100E5031.jpg

146.jpg

Adult Miami female :)

Do you have pics of him? Sounds more like a Normal. One of the things about Miami's is the fact that the ground (background) color is silver/grey or tan, instead of the normal orange-ish color.

Do you have pics of him? Sounds more like a Normal. One of the things about Miami's is the fact that the ground (background) color is silver/grey or tan, instead of the normal orange-ish color.

He does have a grey background he just has small yellow spots inbetween maroon saddles

There is no "what a normal" looks like except "doesn't have red eyes, etc." Normal covers a HUGE range of appearance. And a Miami *is* a normal, for what that's worth.

I was looking at the photo you have in your album of him, and although he appears to have slightly more silver background color, I think he's well within the range for a normal. He also has yellow all along the beginning of his neck.

Normals change so much from hatchlings to adults, that I bet he will look a lot different in a few years (or even a few months!). He may retain some of his silver coloring, but he might not.

A lot of young normals can have a silvery background so much so that they almost look anery when they hatch out. But usually have spots of orange between the first few spots on the neck. They normally always color up as they mature though.

Back