• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

shatter vs het cinder?

67temp

I’m scratching my head trying to figure out some of these babies. Pairing was a caramel, sunkissed, diffused Miami het cinder X caramel, sunkissed het diffused 50%ph cinder. So all babies are at least visual caramel and sunkissed. My initial thoughts are caramel, sunkissed, diffused Miami het cinder and caramel, sunkissed Miami het cinder, diffused.

What is throwing me off is the caramel shatter listing on ians looks nothing like the caramel shatters I have produced but more like the ones that are het cinder. I also see several listed as “shatters” on morph market that don’t really look like shatters to me and I would be tempted to call them as het cinder. Are there different grades of shatters or are other people mis-interpreting het cinder for a visual cinder? The one shown on ians I would personally label as caramel sunkissed het cinder.
http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/?m=caramel_shatter
https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/reptiles/colubrids/corn-snakes/365743

Attachments

• KIMG3537.JPG
    KIMG3537.JPG
    423.1 KB · Views: 48
  • KIMG3539.JPG
    KIMG3539.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 49
  • KIMG3542.JPG
    KIMG3542.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 50
  • KIMG3550.JPG
    KIMG3550.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 50
  • KIMG3578.JPG
    KIMG3578.JPG
    423.5 KB · Views: 50
For reference these are the caramel shatters I produced last year. The last pic you can see the difference of shatter vs the caramel sunkissed ph cinder.

Attachments

• KIMG1448.JPG
    KIMG1448.JPG
    347.1 KB · Views: 50
  • KIMG3037_06.JPG
    KIMG3037_06.JPG
    339.7 KB · Views: 48
  • KIMG1024.JPG
    KIMG1024.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 48
There are definitely different grades of Shatter. I always thought ALL Shatters looked like the original heavily pixelated animal because that is always what I produced, but they don't. Some don't even have the broken/shattered saddles. Instead they have oddly shaped saddles and more of them. Cinder is a fun gene with a strong influence visually. I'd agree that the animals you posted are Het Cinder rather than Homo for the gene.

Terri

The pattern I'm seeing a lot in the line I'm working with, the het appears to be similar to a hurricane on a weather map where it's kind of a swirl or whirlpool look. The homo form seems to be more of the pixelated or dashed look with a greater reduction in the caramel. .....but I could be wrong since it's such a weird gene.

For me it's less the pattern in question, and more the color. The brown tones shouldn't be seen on something homozygous cinder. Your own previous year photos show that the caramel shatter doesn't have the brown tones that all your questionable babies from this year have.

For me it's less the pattern in question, and more the color. The brown tones shouldn't be seen on something homozygous cinder. Your own previous year photos show that the caramel shatter doesn't have the brown tones that all your questionable babies from this year have.

That was my line of thinking too and how I made the decision of what they were. To me the picture posted by steve roylance on ians can be a cause for mis-identification.

Good discussion. And I agree with the above regarding color being the clue to the puzzle.
Also I have noticed in wild types het cinder that the blotches edges are slightly more jagged than non hets in most examples.

Hi all!

I don't have anything to contribute other than to say that I love the discussion. Shatters have been on my list to own or breed for a while. And, the hatchlings are very cool!

Enjoy,

-Tonya

Back