CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Progression: Shadow the Eastern Indigo Snake

Old 09-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #51
DLena
You have such a tender heart, DollysMom. Shadow knows you're helping him grow big and strong. And he has Cleo and Clyde to root for him. <3

Old 09-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #52
Karl_Mcknight
I did not know that about Indigos. Makes you wonder how does a baby Indigo survive in the wild if it needs help eating. The mortality rate must be extremely high for those snakes. I guess this one is lucky to have somebody there to cram a mouse in. LOL! Keep us posted and let us know when He/She starts eating on his/her own. And that brings up another question - How will you know, unless you see if they will eat on their own first and then if not offer the assist? Is that what you are doing?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:56 PM   #53
DollysMom
Thanks for asking, Karl.

Yes, I'm seeing how he reacts to the mouse, or quail leg, first. I also presume that when he starts to recognize the prey as a meal that he will at least open his mouth on his own. As with all snake care, careful observation of nuanced changes will be helpful.

The breeder tells me that in the wild they are sight hunters and they actively slither around looking for something that moves. So the theory is that without that stimulation the captive bred babies need help. But like all baby snakes in the wild, some won't make it and some will become prey. Since Shadow swallows so well I'm guessing he'd eat on his own in the wild.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #54
DollysMom
Shadow had just pooped and was out and about when I got this picture. While not the greatest, it's the best yet of his lovely baby speckles. I hated to disturb him, but of course I'm not going to let him sit in a poopy house. He's now all nice and clean and sitting in his favorite hide again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google