CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

First time snake owner. Loving it!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #71
jagodzinski
Mmm.... It's possible that his eyes look a little cloudy. It is pretty hard to tell from the picture though IMO. Signs that a shed is coming are dulling of colors and decrease in activity level. It is hard to tell with amels though. After the color dulls, it will clear up again for a day or two and then the shed will occur. I see you have a large water bowl which is good in case snakey wants to soak.

Hopefully someone else can help you out.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 PM   #72
Haight
He has definitely been less active. In fact, I haven't seen him since noon yesterday.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:51 AM   #73
DollysMom
If he hasn't shed with you, considering his growth rate, age, and behavior it's a definite probability. It is not uncommon for them to shed every 4 to 6 weeks when they are youngsters. It's hard to tell in the picture, but if he looks duller to you trust your eyes.

By the way, mine has left sheds half buried in aspen, under artificial plants, and along the edge of a hide. They aren't always the first thing you spot even when you are looking for them.

For me it is still an exciting event, and it is so nice to see our snakes again when they come out of hiding in their bright colors.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #74
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
If he hasn't shed with you, considering his growth rate, age, and behavior it's a definite probability. It is not uncommon for them to shed every 4 to 6 weeks when they are youngsters. It's hard to tell in the picture, but if he looks duller to you trust your eyes.

By the way, mine has left sheds half buried in aspen, under artificial plants, and along the edge of a hide. They aren't always the first thing you spot even when you are looking for them.

For me it is still an exciting event, and it is so nice to see our snakes again when they come out of hiding in their bright colors.
It's so hard to trust my eyes being a first time snake owner, but I'm pretty sure he looks duller than when we got him. He is due for a feeding tomorrow but I think I am going to hold off just in case. He has been hiding, save for a 10 minute excursion to the warm side and back, since Wednesday afternoon.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #75
Haight
So after careful consideration I decided to feed slinky that smallest pinkie that I had (1.8g) and he downed it. Still unsure whether or not he is in shed. Time will tell.
Hard for me to believe that I fed him two 2.5g pinkies the first time I fed him and he didn't regurge. He is a monster. Weighed him before the feeding and he weighed in at 15g.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #76
DollysMom
Many will eat in shed without any negative consequences if it is offered. Feeding a very light meal was smart. I accidently fed Dolly in his second shed with me because I missed the blue eyes which must have occurred while he was in hiding digesting. Then he cleared up though I noticed he was a little dull. A few days later I found the shed. It was quite a surprise. He was fine.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #77
Haight
Definitely no doubt that he is in shed now. It is very obvious. He has been in his moist hide since he was fed, and has barely moved. I assume that he should shed within the next few days.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:20 PM   #78
DollysMom
Fantastic. It's another wonderful first with your snake pal. Be sure to post pics.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #79
Haight
Of course =). I can't wait.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #80
Haight
HELP! I am an idiot. I knew Slinky was due to shed any day, but I decided to feed him today. Low and behold 15 minutes after he ate he decided it was time to shed. The problem is that he can't seem to get the majority of the shed past the bulge in his belly. It is a small pinky and therefore a small bulge, however the shed has started to bunch up right before the bulge and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. He has only been working on it for about 10 minutes, but I am still concerned. Should I give him some time or should I intervene and try to help pull it off?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google