• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mandy the normal corn snake

Pet animals sometimes have a rough life It's nice to give them love and stability in their later years, too. Everybody loves the puppies, kittens, little snakelets...somebody has to love the older ones. They have lots of love and sweetness, too!

Oh yes! That x 1000. While it's fun to raise a hatchling, it's wonderful to buy or adopt an adult. I'll definitely vouch for that. And don't forget that normals are a morph, too. :D

Got out the real camera and got some portraits. Forgive aspen face! That's what those little white dots are, lol.

azQvrgPl.jpg

iUC772Ul.jpg

uyhWH3rl.jpg

JrXsLvll.jpg

z7KOjnnl.jpg

Thanks everyone. She was so cute. She crawled out of her rock, into the warm hide, back to the rock, took a trip around the viv and then hung out in her rock like this for a long time! She often spends part of the day with just her head out. I just love her to pieces!

I woke up this morning and as usual checked on my snakes.

I don't see a corn snake, do you see a corn snake? ;)

VBuRpgll.jpg

What follows was totally and completely my own fault and I count it as a learning experience. I'm sharing my learning experience so that others can benefit from it.

First, the set up. Over the past few weeks I've moved Mandy's feedings from 7 to 9 days apart in a effort to stabilize her weight after a modest but needed gain from 464 to 513. She's looking and acting great.

This week I saw her hunting on day 7 like I've never seen her hunt before. I mean she was all over the viv and glass surfing like crazy. Then on day 8 and today she was calmer but still moving from hide to hide.

Tonight, I thawed and warmed the mice as usual. I washed my hands as is my habit before handling or feeding her. I weighed her and she was 512 grams. Then using tongs, I fed her the first mouse. It went normally and I even took some pictures because she looked so cute and happy.

VSFd9bLl.jpg

When the mouse was down and she was looking for more I offered the second one (I feed her two small adults per feeding for a total of 22 to 25 grams due to jaw arthritis). She grabbed it from the tongs with a vengeance I've never seen in her before. She proceeded to toss that mouse back like nothing.

So I waited until the mice were all the way down to her stomach to put her back in her viv. This is our normal routine. This was my mistake. I didn't read the feeding response right and didn't wait long enough. I'm used to her turning her head and looking at me when I pick her up, so when she struck I did nothing to evade the bite.

tzE0DGvl.jpg

It was definitely a feeding bite because after she tagged me and let go, she proceeded to bite herself! After she let go of herself, I just let her settle down. After waiting about 15 to 20 minutes, I lifted the front of her body and aimed her into the viv as usual. She quickly crawled into the viv and her warm hide just as sweet as can be.

It hurt just a little at the time, like however many pin pricks. So much for the vet telling me her teeth are too short. I think they are fully functional, lol. After I washed it with warm soap and water followed by an H2O2 rinse, I can see and feel nothing there.

I want to reiterate: THIS WAS TOTALLY MY OWN FAULT! I did not and do not hold my dear sweet girl to blame in the least. She's a snake. She was hungry. End of story.

It looked like a "Mouse" to her. LOL.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you to clean that wound really well.

And for what it's worth - When I feed Rufus, I let him crawl out of the feeding bin all by himself before moving him back to his cage. He seems to be in "Feeding Mode" when I place him in the feeding container. He definitely knows what it is. And even after feeding, he still has "That Look" in his eyes. So I just sit and watch, let him do his thing, and let him crawl out of the container. It usually only takes a few minutes, and once he's out, he's back to being his normal sweet self again.

Thanks, Karl! Yep thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. Those teeth had just been in a mouse :eek:

She doesn't seem to understand crawling back in on her own unless I start her head in. Once her head is in she does the rest herself. In any case, I will wait a lot longer from now on!

Eek! Good story though. She's just letting you know she's still got some spunk in her yet. ;)

Actually, this is one of the reasons it never made sense to me how people say feeding in cage leads to bites. I figure, feeding in separate containers probably leads to more bites for exactly this reason. Now you have to handle your snake, who has just eaten and is still surrounded by the smell of rodent, to put it back in it's cage. I still feed in a separate container, but that particular reason has nothing to do with it.

. . . I'm sharing my learning experience so that others can benefit from it.. . .

It hurt just a little at the time, like however many pin pricks. So much for the vet telling me her teeth are too short. I think they are fully functional, lol. After I washed it with warm soap and water followed by an H2O2 rinse, I can see and feel nothing there.
. . .

Ouch!!

Sorry you got tagged by your little sneaky one! Hope she didn't hurt you OR herself! They CAN get a little enthusiastic, no?

It's a REAL good thing you know what you do about your snakes and about there nature, in general, as I am uncertain everyone who owns one would be so understanding. (There ARE some REAL winners out THERE!!) I guess the world ain't all rainbows and bunny farts!

Glad you ARE who you ARE!!!

And THANX for the warning!! (In the pinball game of life, some people's flippers are farther apart than MOST!!!).

:poke:

I had close to the same thing happen a few weeks ago, sweet as pie Orlando (Trans Pecos) was hanging out from his hide when I got into his cage to spot clean it. I noticed he was showing "hunting" posture but he is usually such a finicky eater and has such a good disposition, that I ignored it and he reached out and nailed my hand when it got too close. Didn't hurt but was my fault for not paying enough attention and making sure he knew that he wasn't getting fed right then. Good news though, he's been ravenous the last 3 weeks and I've moved his feedings to every 5 days instead of 7, might actually get up to the size he should be for his age if he keeps this up. Echo also has more appetite now too, though she was always a bit better eater.

Back