CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Mandy the normal corn snake

Old 05-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #71
albertagirl
She's beautiful. Your video says "set to private"?

Old 05-18-2016, 12:24 PM   #72
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertagirl View Post
She's beautiful. Your video says "set to private"?
Oops, I'll fix that. First upload from iMovie so I missed that!

Old 05-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #73
albertagirl
I love how when they get all coiled up like that so they look like they're going in 3 different directions at once.
Is her right eye still looking a little cloudy though, or is it just the light reflecting off of it? Do corn snakes get cataracts/cloudy eyes as they get old? I guess it would make sense, people do, horses do, dogs do, why wouldn't snakes?

Old 05-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #74
DollysMom
Quote:
I love how when they get all coiled up like that so they look like they're going in 3 different directions at once.
Is her right eye still looking a little cloudy though, or is it just the light reflecting off of it? Do corn snakes get cataracts/cloudy eyes as they get old? I guess it would make sense, people do, horses do, dogs do, why wouldn't snakes?
I'm glad you could see the video this time!

Yes, snakes can get cataracts. I think she has cataracts. I couldn't tell until she shed, but there is something going on. In person her right eye is slightly more cloudy than the left. She is definitely not blind.

She also has an area at the top of each eye, more externally, that almost looks scarred and opaque. I don't know what that is. I'm guessing some event in her past that is already healed, but I don't know and I need it assessed.

The good news is that her shed was perfect and the spectacles she shed looked perfect. Her eyes definitely look much better post shed.

I wasn't going to mention it until after we consulted the vet, but I already have a reptile vet (member of ARAV) appointment for her next Monday afternoon. I made it yesterday morning. I want to make sure that there is nothing I could or should be doing for her eyes. She's going to get a complete check up while we are there.

I know she had a vet check upon intake at the rescue but I don't have those records and she's my responsibility now. It's funny, but there are times that even just to be on the safe side, the vet trip is a pretty easy decision to make.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #75
DollysMom

This is a close up view of Mandy's right eye.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:33 PM   #76
Karl_Mcknight
I was showing this video to Rufus and he started singing

" ♫♪♪♫ Something in the way she moooooooooves........ ♫♪♪♫ "

(You have to imagine a young corn snake singing, sounds kind of like a dog's Squeak Toy)

She (Mandy) is a Smooth Operator though, but she'll never be able to catch or keep up with Clyde

Old 05-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #77
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post

(You have to imagine a young corn snake singing, sounds kind of like a dog's Squeak Toy)

She (Mandy) is a Smooth Operator though, but she'll never be able to catch or keep up with Clyde
Have I mentioned how much you crack me up Karl? You make me giggle daily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post

I wasn't going to mention it until after we consulted the vet, but I already have a reptile vet (member of ARAV) appointment for her next Monday afternoon. I made it yesterday morning. I want to make sure that there is nothing I could or should be doing for her eyes. She's going to get a complete check up while we are there.

I know she had a vet check upon intake at the rescue but I don't have those records and she's my responsibility now. It's funny, but there are times that even just to be on the safe side, the vet trip is a pretty easy decision to make.
You're such a good snake Momma! Older animals are a whole different can of worms from babies, aren't they? I'm going through it with my dogs right now, who are all senior citizens, and one who is quite old is also going to see the doc on Friday just for a "how's she doing?" checkup. It's all you can do! At least Mandy will have the best care from here on out even if her eyesight gets a little cloudy.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #78
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post

Rufus is such a doll. Thanks for the serenade, Rufus. Mandy sends her hellos!

Lol, Clyde has everyone beat. It is amazing how fast he is.

Quote:
You're such a good snake Momma! Older animals are a whole different can of worms from babies, aren't they? I'm going through it with my dogs right now, who are all senior citizens, and one who is quite old is also going to see the doc on Friday just for a "how's she doing?" checkup. It's all you can do! At least Mandy will have the best care from here on out even if her eyesight gets a little cloudy.
Yep, it's especially different with older animals where you only know little bits and small pieces of their history. I do believe that she had good care at the rescue, but it's not the same thing as her having her own forever momma to fuss over her. That's why these sweet snakeys need permanent homes.

I just finished the longest outing on the living room blanket so far. She handles very well, but I'm also very, very gentle with her. I hold her briefly, like a minute and then let her down to crawl, but I must have held her about 12 times today. She did not seem stressed at all.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #79
DollysMom
Mandy sees the reptile vet

Here's Mandy in the office waiting for the vet to come in.

Mandy was a trooper. She was so calm. The only time she protested was when the doc opened her mouth with a tongue depressor. She just curled her tail around my wrist and held on while she tried to twist away from the vet.

What I learned was that there is no visible infection in her eyes and I just need to keep a watch for changes. She shouldn't lose any weight. Her teeth are pretty short and to monitor for any feeding problems.

Mandy produced a fecal sample this morning right on schedule, but it will be a few days before I get the results of that test. I had timed the vet visit around digestion and that worked out perfectly.

Next year we will do a blood work up, but we didn't have to stick her today.

I couldn't have asked for a sweeter snakey girl. Now she gets to rest!

Old 05-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #80
albertagirl
Oh good! So nothing wrong, just a happy little senior. <3

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google