CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Mendela effect

Old 03-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Rich Z
Mendela effect

This really makes my brain hurt. I remember some things as the "before" and others as the "after"..... :crazy03:

Yeah, memory can be a funny thing, and the older I get the funnier (in a gallows humor sort of way) it gets. For instance, I would have bet money that we have bought Jiffy brand peanut butter in the past.

http://mandelaeffect.com/jif-or-jiffy-peanut-butter/

And I would also have bet money that in the Forrest Gump movie that the phrase was "Life is like a box of chocolates." Connie and I have watched that movie several times and said that quote between us MANY times in various situations. But guess what?

http://mandelaeffect.com/forrest-gump-life-is-like/

The problem with losing your memory is that you can't even remember what it is you might have forgotten.

I've heard people say "That guy has forgotten more than I will ever know." I used to think that was a compliment, but now I'm not so sure.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
VanguardFed
Memory is a very imprecise mechanism. To me, the most surprising thing about this whole Mandella effect thing is that some people find the likelihood of some sort of unevidenced, indetectable, mass dimension jump being greater than misremembering. Many studies have been done that demonstrate well that our memories are mutable and unreliable. A good example is a memory study done by NYU on how well people remembered their personal experience of the attacks on September 11th, 2001. People were very confident that their memories were correct, but just over half the people in the study were correct in their memories three years later.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...mory-accuracy/

Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
Twolunger
My wife can remember everyone who was at our wedding 45 years ago. She even remembers what gifts we received. The only thing I can remember is that we were both there. Last week she asked me if I knew how much money I spent on snakes this year and I had to admit I don't. Sometimes a good memory is a bad thing.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
Jessicat
The Bernstein Bears REALLY messed me up. As anyone older, even in movies and shows it's always pronounced stein. I just cannot accept Bernstain.

Also Oscar Mayer kind of messes me up because my last name is Meyer and it's just always been Oscar Meyer in my mind. We even call one of my uncles Oscar! Might be because of the pronunciation?

No matter what I find this kind of thing fascinating!

Old 03-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Rich Z
Yeah, it's a pretty fascinating topic that I have been looking into lately. The interesting part is that there are instances when I remember the "missing universe" view, and others where I remember the "current universe" view. And there are others that I really don't have any memory of because the topic was never one of interest to me enough to pay attention to.

Now this one really twists my brain:

I was in junior high school when Kennedy was assassinated, and I watched a LOT of stuff about it, even up to rather recently. I do NOT remember a 6 seater car at all! It was a standard automobile with a driver and passenger up front, and John and Jackie Kennedy in the back seat. Period.

So yeah, whether or not this Mendela Effect is real or not, is certainly does present some anomalies with some people's memories. Enough so that it pretty much leads you to believe that SOMETHING is going on worth looking into, if for nothing else the puzzling entertainment that it presents.

Oh yeah, I was watching some videos going into a bit about the scientific evidence of parallel universes, and that in itself is pretty interesting stuff.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #6
Rich Z
Hmm, Skynet just around the corner?

Old 03-26-2017, 02:35 AM   #7
Rich Z
Well, this guy is pretty entertaining!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:13 AM   #8
Rich Z
Hmm, interesting..... Gets kind of political, but still.....

Old 03-26-2017, 03:42 AM   #9
Rich Z
Here is an earlier video by this guy. Not quite as upbeat as his later ones.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:26 AM   #10
Rich Z
This guy sure comes up with some interesting thoughts.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google