CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Convincing Parents?

Old 09-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
The_Crazy_Lizard
Convincing Parents?

I am thirteen and my parents are not sure if I would be able to care for a corn snake. I could use some help with things that I need some clarity on that might change my parents mind. The first thing is the fact that snakes need to be held daily. I have read several places that is is true and that is is false. The second is if it in expensive to keep them. To my understanding it should only cost $5-$10 a month to care for a corn snake. Lastly is it easy to make an enclosure escape proof? This sounds like a dumb question but I just have to ask. (btw I have a crested gecko currently)

Old 09-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
Em.Mo.Clark
Hey there! Good luck convincing your parents, I hope you do!

As for being held daily, that's really up to you. If you want your snake to be calm when handled, then for the first few months that you own him it would be wise to hold him every day except when he's shedding and digesting his food (one or two days after feeding). After that just try to hold him fairly frequently though every day might not be necessary.

As for the cost, the initial set up when I got mine was about $300 for the little guy himself, a 20 gallon tank kit with included aspen bedding, heating pad, heating lamp, water bowl, thermometer, and log hide. I also bought another hide and a ramp for climbing, tank poop scoop, feeding bin (literally just a storage container), as well as a 6 pack of frozen baby mice which lasted about a month and a half. When the snake is young and small, it needs to be fed once a week, but once it reaches a more mature size and age it can eat every other week. And as long as you spot clean it's tank, you only need to change the bedding every month or so. So if you don't layer the bedding super thick, you won't need to buy it as frequently. It costs me about $5 a month to keep my 3 1/2 month old corn snake happy and healthy.

And yes, it is very easy to escape proof your tank, depending on which tank you get. The tank I have is one with a top lid that slides into place and has metal closure posts that attach the lid to the tank securely. I'll link the tank kit that I bought. I've had no problems with escaping. And no, that's not a dumb question at all

http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habi...kit-15026.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
DollysMom
You do not need to handle your snake daily! 2 to 3 times a week will easily keep them acclimated to handling.

I suggest you do not buy a kit. You can buy a 20 gallon long Zilla critter cage with a secure sliding lid. Snakes can and will push out of normal reptile lids, sometimes even with numerous clips holding them.

You need aspen bedding, a hygrometer, two thermometers with probes (digital aquarium thermometers), two hides -- one for the warm side and one for the cool side. I prefer not to use traditional log hides with babies -- too open. Rock hides or sections of cork round that are not too high or big work better. They also love those little coconut hides when they are babies, and plastic or silk greenery which also works as a hide. You need an undertank heating pad and a thermostat. Last, but most important you need a water dish. It is best to use de chlorinated water. Some people use spring water. I use a Brita filter. You also need a small feeding and holding container. A critter keeper works well for a small snake. And don't forget feeding tongs.

Never use tape or anything sticky in the tank. Most of us use hot glue and suction cups to secure things. Snakes will invariably get stuck to tape with usually tragic consequences.

Everyone's list will be slightly different, but that's mine. You also need a sturdy and stable surface to put your tank on.

I suggest you look at and price these things out online at a pet store or Amazon. I actually buy a lot of my stuff at Amazon because it is cost effective. Like Emo said you can buy frozen pinkies at just about any pet store. You will need to buy larger mice as time goes on.

A corn snake is one of the easiest to care for pets in the world. They eat once a at most every 5 days and that period gets longer when they get larger. They poop at most a couple of times a week. Their poop is easy to scoop up with the surrounding aspen, wrap up and throw in the trash. Baby poop doesn't even smell. I've only smelled adult poop before I clean it up. Once in the garbage it does not smell up the house.

You can keep a smaller corn in a 20 long it's entire life but at about age 2 many of us move our snakes to 40 to 50 gallon tanks. While not absolutely necessary it is nicer for the snake.

Not to discourage you, but also do you research of area vets that treat snakes. You never know when you may need one. A responsible owner always has a reptile vet that they can turn to. Vet visits usually cost less than $100. If your snake needs a vet that's the greatest expense you will ever face. It will not hurt your case if you research reptile vets and present a plan to your parents about that as well.

Anyway do your research. Figure out how much it will cost, where you will put the tank (never in direct sunlight), and make a report like a school research project. Caring for and observing a snake can be very scientific as well. I keep records of weight, feeding and shedding. I've never had a pet that is easier to care for than a snake. They are quiet, odor free if spot cleaned, don't require daily walks, and are hypoallergenic.

They are much easier to care for than any cat or dog. Each snake's has its own personality and while they don't have "emotions" in the sense we do, they do become familiar with their keeper and do interact with their human.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum!

Old 09-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #4
The_Crazy_Lizard
Thank you for all the help. I have actually been trying at this for over 8 months now but I keep trying. I know tons about them and have created several power points/ "essays" about them and presented them to my parents. I am hoping next weekend I will be getting my first snake as I am going to a reptile expo and hope I am able to talk them into there. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Em.Mo.Clark
Sure thing! Another tip I have: I'm living with my parents for the time being, and my dad is terrified of snakes. He absolutely hates them. He knew how much I wanted one though so he and mom got me one for graduation, but it was under certain conditions that made him comfortable. It would be wise to communicate with your parents and check if maybe they would be more comfortable with you having a snake if you kept it in your bedroom, wouldn't leave it if it's tank was open, wouldn't take it outside of your room, etc. My bedroom is connected to my bathroom, so the boundaries my dad set was that I can't take him outside of my bedroom/bathroom, I can't tease him about it, I have to stay with him if his tank is open (obviously), and I need to talk about him as little as possible so my dad is as comfortable as he can be with a snake in the house. Trying to meet in the middle is a good way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
The_Crazy_Lizard
Makes sense. My dad is actually completely okay with it and my mom in not afraid of a snakes, she just does not understand why you would want a snake as a pet. She is even has held my crested gecko before and thinks its cool just not something she would want to have as a pet. That's a good idea though making it so it's like there isn't even a snake in the house.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
The_Crazy_Lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crazy_Lizard View Post
Makes sense. My dad is actually completely okay with it and my mom in not afraid of a snakes, she just does not understand why you would want a snake as a pet. She is even has held my crested gecko before and thinks its cool just not something she would want to have as a pet. That's a good idea though making it so it's like there isn't even a snake in the house.
I actually forgot to mention I recently started tutoring my brother with homework as well as having just started taking care of our yard and pool all of which my parents used to pay tons of money for so I hope that will hope convince them that I am able to care for a snake.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
DollysMom
I can't speak for your parents, but as a mom myself, your efforts impress me!

As to why a pet snake, why not? They are a lot more interesting and interactive than people realize. A corn snake is a completely perfect pet.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
The_Crazy_Lizard
Thank you. I'll let you know if I get one this weekend. If i get the OK I'm definitely going to be looking for a nice candy cane or a tessera stripe

Old 09-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
DollysMom
One thing to be aware of in candy canes is that the reddest of youngsters can change to orange as adults. Just don't want you to be disappointed. Of course, I have no doubt you won't stop loving a snake just because it changes as it grows.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google