CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Underweight corn

Old 09-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
LionessModeling
Underweight corn

So I adopted 2 corns recently and from what people here have told me the one is very under weight so to fix this do I double the food it eats by feeding twice a week instead of just once a week like I do with my 2nd corn who is a healthy weight and size.

Any tips would be great.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Old 09-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
LionessModeling
Photo of the corn who is under weight

Old 09-24-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
DollysMom
That snake looks well proportioned from what I see. Who said it was underweight and why? How much does it weigh? How much do the mice you feed weigh?

If your snake needs to grow or gain weight it should be done slowly. I wouldn't feed twice a week in any case. I don't feed juveniles to adults more than once a week.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
LionessModeling
It is 4 years old and half the size of the other corn I have that is also 4 years old.

Few nice of both corns

Old 09-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
isn't funny how 2 children 4 years old can be different sizes too, and 2 adults 40 years old can be different sizes too.

A full grown corn snake can be 3 feet long and 300 grams, or 6 feet long and 1000 grams. Just because 1 snake is bigger than the other does not mean 1 is underweight.

If you're going to be a serious snake owner and you want to do things right, get a scale and weigh the snake(s) regularly. That's the only way you can tell if they are gaining weight or losing weight and by how much.

Most of us all weigh our snakes regularly and we weigh the food items too, so we can be sure we are not over feeding or under feeding.

None of your pictures look like an underweight snake to me, but your pictures are not good quality, so I'll just stop there.

As far as proper feeding, even if a snake is underweight, you don't necessarily double its food. Snakes can get obese too just like people. The best thing to do is to feed on an established schedule and stick to it. Do everything repetitiously, like a habit. If a snake is underweight, it can and will catch up over a period of time with proper feeding.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
DollysMom
To add to what Karl has already said, it would probably help get you up to speed if you study the many stickies here regarding care and feeding. I also suggest this book:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/188277...iKL&ref=plSrch

Are you keeping your snakes in the same tank? It is much, much, much better to house corn snakes separately. I know of no good reason to house corn snakes together. Each of my snakes has their own fully outfitted and appropriate homes.

Please do ask questions and we will try to help.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
LionessModeling
Thank you everyone

Old 09-25-2017, 02:00 AM   #8
Shiari
Karl, the anery is *definitely* underweight. The snake is triangle, rather than loaf shaped. Look at the picture where it's around her neck. Look at the picture where it is eating. The spine is far, far too prominent.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:36 AM   #9
LionessModeling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Karl, the anery is *definitely* underweight. The snake is triangle, rather than loaf shaped. Look at the picture where it's around her neck. Look at the picture where it is eating. The spine is far, far too prominent.
I will start feeding him twice a week until he is more "plump" and will be getting a 2nd tank as soon as I can to seperate them as the red one keeps eating everything put in the tank.
So i put the anery in a tub when feeding him to ensure he is fed then I put him back in the tank with the red corn half hour after he's finished swallowing the rat pup or jumbo mouse.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:02 AM   #10
Shiari
Please do not overfeed your snake. If you attempt to powerfeed an underweight snake, they will very likely become sick. One large mouse once every 7 days until it is of proper weight, and then it can be dropped down to one large mouse once every 10 days.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google