CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

I must've really startled her.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 AM   #1
honey.bee
I must've really startled her.

I was taking her out of her feeding box after leaving her alone for a while to swallow and such. I gave her about 45 mins to a hour to relax in there. I wasn't really keeping track of the time. I always do this nowadays so that my snakes are calmer to be picked up after eating..

Anyways I go to pick her up after lifting the lid of her box. I stroked her sides just in case she didn't really see me yet. She flinched a little (if corn snakes can really flinch). She must've be taking a catnap of sorts. So I just pick her up as normal. She opened her jaw a little as her body turned around to get to my hand! Since she went from opening her jaw slightly to changing her mind so fast as to actually bite or not. She decided not to in that split second! I was really surprised but not enough to stop touching her. So I just carry her to her tank as normal.

This is my 4-ish year old snow corn by the way. She's such a sweety usually so I guess she just didnt see me at first. What surprised me was the slight opening of her mouth before she realized what I was. I wonder what was going through her head! xD

Old 09-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
NH93
Sounds like she was sleeping.
I tend to startle my corn when I change her water, and she's curled up asleep underneath. When I go to put the bowl back over her she usually flinches because of the shadow over top.

P.S.
My corn snake has a large dog water bowl, that has a hole cut out in the side for her to get underneath. It doubles as a cool hide, and it's her favourite... especially since she lives beside a ball python and underneath a blue tongued skink.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
Sounds like she was sleeping.
I tend to startle my corn when I change her water, and she's curled up asleep underneath. When I go to put the bowl back over her she usually flinches because of the shadow over top.
I agree with Nici, since they don't have eyelids to close you can't tell if they are sleeping. Mine can sleep through a marching band but are startled if I touch them gently!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google