CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How long to defrost?

Old 09-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #1
Popcorn715
How long to defrost?

Maybe this is a silly ? and it's probably been answered somewhere I couldn't find, but how long does it take to really get a mouse defrosted and warm?

Especially now that we've moved up to hoppers, I find myself wondering if it's still cold in the middle even if it feels warm to me. We had been just putting the smaller mice in warm water straight out of the freezer just before feeding. Last time I put it in the fridge earlier in the day to get it started and felt better that it was probably warm all the way through.

Any thoughts on the best defrosting method?

Old 09-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
cornsnakeforsale_com
I only do hot water. A Pinky might take like 10 seconds, an adult rat might take 20 minutes. Just depends on how big the item is vs how hot the water is and if it stays warm a long time. 1 hopper would probably take a few minutes I'd guess.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Amanda47
I test them by poking the ribcage area to see if it's still cool/cold.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Neekko
I set up an alarm about 2 hours before feeding to put the mouse out, then give it a quick dunk in a cup of water that was heated in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. I've always been too paranoid that I'd cook the mouse, so I go with a slow thaw every time. The heating is basically just to pique the snake's interest.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google