CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Hurricane Irma

Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #21
Twolunger
Has anyone heard from Nanci? The hurricane blasted through her area. Hopefully she suffered no damage. My son and his family are stranded in Gainesville. No gas available in that area.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #22
Patmart
Just to let you know my granddaughter is safe
Thank you all for your prayers
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #23
DollysMom
I'm so glad, Patmart. I've been thinking of you both.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #24
Rich Z
Not much happened here at all. Winds and rain weren't any worse than a typical hefty thunderstorm. Just shook a bunch of branches out of some trees. Most of which were dead wood and going to fall anyway. No trees here got toppled or had their tops snapped off. Heck, we had some black plastic buckets out in the yard that we got plants in from a nursery and they didn't even get pushed around by the wind.

Lost power at 8:30 am Monday morning, however. Just came back 6:20 pm today (Tuesday), so it was out for around 34 hours. Comcast also got knocked out because of a tree falling on the line along our road. We took a drive late yesterday to see if anyone else had power and to check the power lines along the road, and went to the post office while we were out. Post office had a sign on the door stating that they were closed till further notice. Hope I get a letter in my post office box telling me when they will reopen. They even had the mail drop-off boxes wrapped in plastic so no one could give them any back logged work to do when they came back to work.

The Onan generator ran like a champ, keeping the well pump running, and the freezer and refrigerator over in the old reptile building provided power to keep the food from going bad. Connie moved a few things from the house refrigerator and freezer over there, so we didn't lose anything. I was monitoring the propane usage of the generator which was 60 percent in that 500 gallon tank, and I am guessing we still had enough fuel for 10 more days if the power had stayed out that long. If these storms get to be a regular thing I may have to see if I can get an electrician to run a feed to the house with some sort of switch where I can select either the house or the other buildings, as needed. The water pump is in the breaker box for the reptile building, so I really need power to both of them.

Interestingly enough the temps here dropped WAY down from what should be normal. Only got up to 65 degrees on Monday, so we didn't even need the battery powered fans for sleeping comfort.

Today Connie and were putting things back together today from our preparations for the storm, and cleaning up the debris that got shook out of the trees. Didn't need to crank up any of the chain saws, fortunately. Most of preparations we did prior to the storm was wasted effort, as it turned out, but necessary, I suppose, from the potential impact up here of Irma. I guess a lot of people are on the trek back home to assess the damages in south Florida. Now there, I am sure, it was a much different story.

Hope everyone else fared well through this.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #25
DollysMom
Glad you and Connie are doing well. Thanks for the update!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #26
Twolunger
We stayed with my nephew in Ft. Lauderdale. He has a row of bamboo along his fence that are about 4 inches in diameter and 30 feet tall. I told him they won't last long, as the winds hit over 100 mph and gusted to 120. I thought they would come down quickly, as big limbs broke off his oak tree and crashed all around his place. I was surprised that the bamboo swayed in the wind but didn't break off. He didn't know what kind they were, but they sure were strong.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google