CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

UTH and tubs?

Old 12-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
turn
UTH and tubs?

Just thinking about getting a plastic tub when my snake gets bigger. I have a thermostat, but i heard some people put it on a ceramic tile, how does that work? Pics? Thanks!!

Old 12-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Never heard the ceramic tile thing myself.

I can tell you it would take about 140 degrees to start affecting PVC Plastics, and 500 degrees to affect PET Plastics, and all other plastics would lie somewhere in between. (Courtesy of a Google search).

If you're worried about your heat mat melting the plastic tub, your snake would most likely be dead from the heat first, but I suppose it could happen.

You stated you have a thermostat. If you set it to the correct temps, it should never get hot enough to hurt the snake or melt the plastic.

There are several folks here that use heat pads and/or heat tape along with plastic tubs, and I've not heard anyone mention anything about using ceramic tiles.

They do actually make ceramic heat panels that people sometime use for reptiles, but they are generally used overhead.

Old 12-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Twolunger
I think the ceramic tile suggestion was to hold up a heat pad that kept coming loose from the bottom of the vivarium. I've used Flexwatt heat tape on my PVC racks for years and never had a problem. I also have the ZooMed heat cable on two of the racks. I don't trust any electrical devices when it comes to my snakes, so have thermostats, and also have thermometers with high temp alarms. I test them frequently and change their batteries often too.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
daddio207
People would attach UTH's or heat tape to the bottom of ceramic tiles making a sort of heat rock.
I personally wouldn't use a tub for a single snake. I would want it "displayed" for viewing enjoyment.
I've built a lot of racks over the years and never liked the idea of a heat source under (or in) the plastic tubs. I used back heat and only genuine Flexwatt.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google