CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Advice on quanities

Old 07-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #1
Colorguardchic19
Advice on quanities

My little girl is only 17 grams. I want to order food offline, but we all know it's really only worth it if you're ordering in bulk. I'm looking into getting some pinkies, fuzzies small and large and maybe some hoppers to last a while. Any idea based on her size the quanities of each I should get?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 07-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
MysticExotics
A couple options for you:
Layne Labs has very good quality rodents, they are who I order through consistently. They allow you to order smaller amounts than most other large rodent suppliers.
They are on the west coast (CA) so shipping will be more, but it might be worth it rather than ordering more than you can use.

Another option is finding someone relatively close to you, who will go in on an order with you. That will help the cost.

Each animal grows at a different rate.
A few years ago, I raised up a few babies from the same clutch, and they grew at different rates, on the same exact feeding schedule.
It is hard to say how many of each food size to get.
I do not keep rodents past 6 months, I usually go through them in about 2-3 months, per order. Your snake may or may not reach the size to eat hoppers before then.

Another option is to get more snakes.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
IrishInIsengard
Using my single snake as an example, he sized up from pinkies to small fuzzies. After that, he only needed about 6 of the small fuzzies and 3 large fuzzies. He'll be on Hoppers starting next week!

It's not horrible to feed your snake small fuzzies longer than your feeding chart says (as long as you do eventually size up). So if you want to order, say, 10 of each and still use them up, that would work. I just bought my fuzzies from a brick and mortar pet store that sold them in little boxes of 6. It's more expensive per mouse that way.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Colorguardchic19
Yeah I was looking into Layne Labs and the shipping is 45 dollars so smaller quantities aren't worth it. So maybe stick to pinkies and fuzzies for my order. I hadn't really explored other places because I keep seeing that people use Layne Labs and I want good quality humanely dealt with mice. Not getting another yet haha this is still my first and I haven't had her for long at all

Old 07-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Colorguardchic19
Thank you!

Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Another option is to get more snakes.
I second this. That's how I dealt with it when my snakes outgrew their feeder size before finishing them.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #7
Zeina
It's hard to do this, I've wrestled with the ideas as well!
(If possible, try to attend a reptile expo within an hour or two drive from your location!)

I got lucky and had a reptile expo come to town- ( We usually have about 3 a year, so I stock up about every 4 months)
I got 50 big fuzzies, it only cost 42 bucksat the expo..... But the good thing is, about 30 of them are really big, and 20ish are smaller, so my 11mo snake can take the big ones, because he is sized for them, and my 8mo eats the smaller ones, and throughout the next couple of months the smaller one will probably move up in size anyway, so it worked out.
And if I have some left over because they've moved up in size, I just double up until the existing mice are gone and then go to an expo to get the next sizes up.
There is also www.feedersource.com (They supply the expos as well, and I've never had any issues, the mice have always been healthy pink, clean and parasite-free)

Old 07-29-2015, 04:35 PM   #8
Colorguardchic19
Awesome thanks! I didn't think to look for expos

Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
XenDrgn
I also debated between ordering online and buying in store. And I was trying to find a similar count to see if I could buy in advance. I currently have a hatchling(ish) I have no idea on weight because I don't have a scale. But its taking the standard pinkies sold at petco/petsmart with ease. Most online ordering had a high shipping weight, which when added to the base cost and then divided out per mouse, I really wasn't saving anything. And since I don't know how long she'll be on pinkies, I didn't want to order 50. Afterall, on 1 a week, 50 is nearly a years supply (though not accounting for sizing up/doubling u p as the snake grows) and there's no way to estimate how fast the snake will grow. So while I'm with you, I would rather just buy in bulk, as a single snake owner I couldn't find a feasible option. Also, I wasn't sure how long the mice would remain viable in the freezer. I mean, we don't lie freezer burn and stuff on our food, pretty sure snakes don't either. So my conclusions ended up to be that I'd stick to store bought (petco was cheaper near me) until my snake has graduated to full size mice.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #10
Colorguardchic19
I'll check the pet Co by me. I'm gonna check out a local snake expo by me coming up in the next couple months and probably buy fuzzies there if they are cheap enough.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google