• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Conehead" Adult Corn?

Wow, sounds like not only visiting a vet was a good call, but your vet has done an excellent job with Mr Gibbs! Hope he's better soon.

I'm so glad you took Gibbs to the vet! Hopefully heals up fast and you two have a long life together.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Wow, the bit about the parasites is really interesting. I hear people all the time say "oh well I will just get a live trap for mice and feed them that" Gibbs is a prime example of why NOT to do that. I'm going to save this thread for reference to share with people who think that the practice of feeding wild mice is safe or ok.
Another thing on the fecals is that there is a lab that will test samples that have been properly stored, they say collected as quickly as possible, sealed container and in the fridge. The only reason I know this is that there is nowhere in Red Deer that does fecals worth paying for and it's simply not possible to get it to a clinic that does good testing within the 2hr time frame so I had my "furry" vet look into it for me, as there aren't any reliable herp vets in the city. I know that's really irrelevant in this situation but if anyone else in our area looking here it may prove helpful :)

Not only do you have to worry about parasites with WC rodents, but there is always the possibility that the rodent could have ingested a rodenticide or some other kind of toxin.

The same goes for WC insects for bearded dragons and such- WC insects may have consumed or contacted poisons before being fed.

Not only do you have to worry about parasites with WC rodents, but there is always the possibility that the rodent could have ingested a rodenticide or some other kind of toxin.

The same goes for WC insects for bearded dragons and such- WC insects may have consumed or contacted poisons before being fed.

One of my friends asked how we managed to keep our frogs alive-all of her attempts at keeping frogs have ended in dead frogs. As it turned out, she sent her kids out to catch insects for them-thinking that was the right thing to do. Our frogs get crickets from a pet supplier. It makes a difference.

He's doing good so far! He squirms when I have to do the antibiotic injection, but otherwise doesn't react. I also had a hell of a time getting him to take the oral medication for his tapeworm. He refused to open his mouth and I was concerned about harming him, but he eventually gave in. He's been super docile through this whole thing. :)

He's got one more injection left and also one more dose of medication for the tapeworm, then I'll wait and get one more fecal test done.

The vet clinic had to order the tapeworm medication in specially for me since it's apparently very rarely needed for captive snakes.

There's been zero change in the size of the bump on his head. I think at most I will get an x-ray done next time I take him in, but I might not go for the surgery option to get it removed (really depends on $$$, you know?) as long as it doesn't seem to be harming him. He'll just be my funny-looking snake. :p

Thanks everybody for all the support and advice!

Back