CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Peach thief!

Old 05-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #11
Rich Z
Sigh.... And I had ONE (1) cherry finally develop on a cherry tree we planted several years ago. We planted two, but the other one didn't like it here, so it left. Supposed to be a sweet cherry, and I was looking forward to tasting it.

Not to be. Sometime during the rains we had over the past several days, something else claimed it. Probably a bird, I guess, since it was pretty much an eye catcher for anything flying over head.

Oh well, maybe next year....

Old 05-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #12
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually catching a skunk in a live trap is a fearsome idea to me. I know I have smelled one or more skunks around here, but never actually seen one. But if you catch a skunk in a live trap, how do you get near it without getting sprayed?
I used a large piece of burlap on a long stick to cover the live trap. Once it was covered you can slide it into a plastic garbage can, put the lid on and transport it on its side anywhere you want. The skunks were surprisingly calm, since they don't see you. Depending upon your live trap it may be a bit more difficult releasing the varmint. I used a long string to hold the end open, but the skunks usually just ambled off. The skunks in this area are black & while spotted and look more like a weasel.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
Rich Z
Hmm, well if I do see a skunk around here I sure as heck hope I recognize what it is before it is too late and I get banished from the house for a while. I'll probably have to put in a bunk in the old reptile building.

I have the Havahart live traps, and it could be dicey trying to get the trap open, and have it stay open for a skunk to exit it without a mishap. Maybe I would try to call the local animal control to see if they would take care of it and then return my trap.

I once had a possum jam himself into a trap designed for a rat sized varmint and he had to back out of it when I jammed the door open for him with a long shaft screwdriver. I was surprised that he wasn't in a really bad mood after being cooped up like that for several hours.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #14
Twolunger
Well, it's a real test of a wife's enduring love if she will allow you back into the house after being sprayed. It isn't difficult to release the skunks even with the Havahart type trap, you just need a notched piece of wood to lay on top of the trap to hold the door open. But confidence is the key. Every time I am apprehensive about something it invariably goes wrong.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google