CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Cohabiting questions

Old 05-04-2018, 05:13 AM   #1
J.Catherine
Cohabiting questions

So, my female ghost is about twenty months now. She's confident and exploitative, but not aggressive, eating well, but a little small for her age (will update with precise grams later)

I am interested in getting another snake, and I was wondering if it would be possible to cohabit my 20 month female ghost with a similar aged female cornsnake? Here's my argument.

I will have another viv on standby if it doesn't work, but it would be preferential. I am well aware that this isn't recommended, but am just wondering if there is any way or chance that cohabiting two females of this age (who haven't been cohabited before) /can/ work? I know it's unlikely, but has anyone tried to do something similar? Did it work? Not work? Anything I can do to improve my chances?

I must stress again, I do know the general advice on this. I'm a long way off actually doing it, and will not push my snakes to the point where they are too stressed. My inquiry is based on the fact I want to know whether or not there is any chance of this working or there's literally 0 chance.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Twolunger
You already know the best advice, don't do it. If your concerns are that they may be stressed over sharing the same vivarium, it's possible. Snakes aren't gregarious, and tend to go their separate ways in nature. However, I know there are people who have housed their corns together for years with no problems. Of course they were fed separately. I have housed corns together for a month while I was building a new rack system. I often found them laying together, or in the same hide.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
Patmart
When I had my 2 together I found them together a lot of the time
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Hypancistrus
People in Europe routinely cohab corns, but people in the US do not. I think this is because people in Europe keep them in much bigger environments. If both corns are adults it might work, however, the many reasons not to still exist. You would for sure want to feed separately. I'd say... if you already will have a second viv, just keep them apart. There's no reason to keep them together except human reasons-- the snakes would prefer to be apart.

People who say "They were always together," yes, because they want the best temps. And in a viv those are usually the same places.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
Patmart
My 2 have got their own viv now they wasn’t together very long
Your right here in the UK lots of people keep corns together
Pat

Old 05-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #6
Twolunger
I saw an ad stating that someone wanted to find a home for 2 corn snakes. I inquired, thinking I could help the person find a good home for the snakes. She said the snakes have been in the same tank for over 5 years, and she said they were a pair. I asked her how she knew that, and she said the female laid eggs, which she threw out. She also said she fed them in the same tank with no problems. This could have been a recipe for disaster, but thankfully the pair was given away to someone who now keeps them separate.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Patmart
As I said my 2 have their own viv a few weeks ago we found 10 eggs in zusee viv
It’s been well over six months they was together for a short time
Pat

Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #8
DollysMom
Hi Patmart. At least the one egg I saw a picture of, of yours, was without a doubt infertile. I don’t know about the others, but if they were small and yellowish like that one they had not been fertilized. Snakes can retain viable sperm for a long time, but I don’t think either of yours was sexually mature when they were briefly together. In any case, you did right to separate them. Just because something can be done doesn’t mean it’s best for the snakes.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:33 AM   #9
Patmart
Your right DollysMom
We found 9 more the same colour bless her
Hope next year it won’t happen poor zusee
Pat

Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 AM   #10
DollysMom
I hope it doesn’t happen again as well. As long as she passes them all without problems, that’s the important thing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
cohabitate