CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

RIP Billy Powell

Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #1
snakewispera snr
RIP Billy Powell

Billy Powell, keyboardist with rock group Lynyrd Skynyrd, has died aged 56. He was one of the members of the band's original lineup to have survived the 1977 plane crash, which killed two of his bandmates and their assistant manager.
A report by Press Association says the cause of death is a suspected heart attack. Powell had a history of heart problems and is said to have called emergency services yesterday to say he was having trouble breathing. An ambulance was dispatched to the musician's home but he could not be resuscitated and was pronounced dead.
Powell grew up in Texas, where he began playing piano at an early age. He became a roadie for Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1970, when the band had gone through a number of name changes including the Noble Five and One Percent. By the time Ronnie Van Zandt and co settled on their final incarnation, Powell had been promoted to keyboardist. The Southern rock group went on to enjoy considerable success throughout the mid 70s after scoring a smash hit with their 1974 song Sweet Home Alabama. However, a plane crash in McComb, Mississippi in 1977 killed singer Ronnie Van Zandt, guitarist Steve Gaines and manager Dean Kilpatrick, leaving Powell with severe facial injuries. The remaining members of the band reunited in 1987 with Johnny Van Zandt, brother of Ronnie, as singer, and Lynryd Skynyrd were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.
FREE BIRD pt 1
FREE BIRD pt 2

I was lucky enough to be sat in that crowd, a boiling hot August afternoon 33 yrs ago....
I went to watch The Rolling Stones, and got blown away by some southern gents.

Farewell Billy you are a real diamond.......

Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #2
EddieA
Terribly sad to hear this. Thanks Mike.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Nanci
That's too bad. He lived right by me, a couple towns up. Freebird is one of my very favorite songs.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
SNAKEWISPERA
Dad, I swear I sore you in the crowd :| lol

Rip Billy, I use to listen to them in my dads car.. they where brilliant.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google