CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Whooo! Scored a great deal on a tank today!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
The Fereldan
Whooo! Scored a great deal on a tank today!

I just brought home a 29gal tank, plus lid, plus light, plus metal stand, for only 30 bucks. Now, the tank does have a small crack in it, but I'll be using it for the new corn I'm expecting to arrive tomorrow, not fish. The crack appears to be water-tight, though.

Anyone else snag a great deal today?

Quick question: I do want to keep the crack from spreading...would duct tape work? Or do I really need to get ahold of some aquarium sealant?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Shiari
Do you have a UTH and thermostat to go on the tank? The heat lamp will dry out your enclosure, and corns require belly heat, not basking heat.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
The Fereldan
No worries, I've kept corns for years

I guess I gave the impression that I was planning to use the light to heat the enclosure the corn. The aquarium light is attached to the lid, I'm not using it as a heat source, in fact for the most part it's going to stay unplugged. I did think about switching out the tube for a red one for nighttime viewing of the snake, but I'm doing more research on that for awhile.

I got the UTH and thermostat, and I know how to hook them up. I'll take care of it tonight, the snake isn't arriving until tomorrow. And I'm not even using that particular tank right away, I have a quarantine tub with everything set up for her first. She's coming from a great breeder, but still, having had to deal with mites in the past, I can't say I ever want to risk it again.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Shiari
yaaaaaaaaay! What type of corn are you getting?

And to keep the crack from spreading... I don't know. I have a tank with a cracked bottom that hasn't spread in the two years I've had it. *shrugs*

Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
The Fereldan
She's a 2008 Ultra Anery (proven). I plan to breed her to my Butter male, in hopes of making ultramels with some interesting hets.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
dave partington
A crack in glass is simply a break which has not finished its destiny. There are some methods for filling cracks in windshields; perhaps finding a product/solution along those lines may work. Temperature fluctuations over time, sometimes much time, will lead to the glass contracting and expanding, resulting in growth of the crack. Tape may protect your pet from risk of injury on sharp edges but will not prevent the inevitable break.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
The Fereldan
I'll have to take care of it then, I'll pick up some aquarium sealant when I go shopping tonight. Hey, if I get 5-6 years out of this tank, then I'll be happy. It was a really good deal.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
tress29
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fereldan View Post
If I get 5-6 years out of this tank, then I'll be happy. It was a really good deal.
I bought a 75 gallon tank, wrought iron stand and screen lid for $90. The former owner had an iguana, so the lid has some slits where he used clamp lights. I'm looking into repair/replacement options, but what an upgrade from the 20L I've been using!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google