CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

African House snake babies!

Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
Tavia
The 4th normal het Albino baby is out and so is the T- Albino baby. The normal is a very nice 7 grams and looked female. The Albino is 6.1 grams and wasn't cooperative but appeared male. Last egg hasn't pipped yet.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
Tavia
Last baby is out, unfortunately Morphy wasn't kind to the odds and it's another normal het. But a nice plump 6.9 grams and looked maybe male.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 PM   #13
Tavia
Here are some new, still pre-shed pictures of them. I normally separate babies immediately, which makes it easier to keep records on them, but lots of breeders recommend keeping them to together until they all shed before separating them. So I'm trying that with this clutch.

Here is a 4th baby.

Then the last two, they were under the water bowl and didn't want to stay still! So that's all I got of them.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
Ravenessa
beautiful though... really <3 Why are they recommended to be kept together? That's fairly unusual for snakes.. behavioral point of view?

Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
Tavia
There is a theory among snake breeders, of many types of snakes, even corns, that keeping a clutch together until they all shed for the first time improves how well they all eat.
Since they hatch out in shed, pretty much, and will shed about a week after hatching and they absorb their egg yolks before emerging and aren't hungry that first week of life, the first week is considered to have the least risk of cannibalism of all. In the wild, the babies are very likely to stick pretty much together until that first shed, in whatever shelter they can find and don't move around much.
It does seem to work a lot of the time on improving the percent of good feeders in a clutch, so though I'm pretty paranoid about cannibalism, I decided to try it with this clutch.
But it is not recommended to cohab these guys much past that first shed either, maybe even more so than with corns. So they will be separated as soon as they shed.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:26 AM   #16
Amel_momma
I know that there are fears about cannibalism, howerver, when I purchased my boys they were in the same tank at the pet store, and the shopowner didn't seem to think there would be a problem with keeping them together, he may not have been very knowledgeable about them, I'm not sure. I had no clue as they are my firsts. As they grew though, I could not bring myself to separate them because they sleep in an adorable tangled mess. They do not eat in their tank or together and over the summer I had to move, having a friend keep them, later finding out he only fed them once in the two months he kept them, (not exactly on friend terms any more) but they have never even been aggressive toward each other. I had feared that something could have happened during the time they didn't eat, but the only negative outcome was that I allowed a 6 year old boy to hold Neiko when I first got them back and that was the first time either of them had bitten a person. I felt horrible.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:28 AM   #17
Amel_momma
And what a beautiful clutch

Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #18
Tavia
Here are some pictures of baby #6, unfortunately the only baby currently eating. This one is super calm and hasn't turned down a meal though. Not the best pictures ...

Finally let me get a few of it's face.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #19
Amanda47
Aww, so tiny and cute!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #20
Ravenessa
oh my god we need more pictres here !!!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google