CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Ruth the Beardie

Old 07-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Eavlynn
Ruth the Beardie

I'm the proud new momma of an adult bearded dragon named Ruth. I don't have much info on her, no age or anything. She was a rescue that ended up in the hands of the reptile breeder that I work for. She's a darling girl with metabolic bone disease. She doesn't have total control of her legs, but still manages to get around alright. I've wanted a bearded dragon for some time, but never took the dive until I saw Ruth. With proper nutrition, heating and UVB lighting, I'm hoping she'll show some improvement, although I doubt she'll ever regain complete motor function. She requires a smaller feeding tank, so she doesn't have to travel so far to catch her feeder insects. Her current home is a 4 foot by 2 foot wooden enclosure, which is temporary, due to the flaws in the build. Its not unsafe, or unstable, just not really aesthetically pleasing...at all. I hope to make her a "handicap accessible" enclosure more suited to her specific needs in the future (a basking spot with a ramp, etc).

This is the first and only photo I have of her thus far. There will be more coming soon! Without further ado...

Old 07-13-2016, 01:28 AM   #2
axis1
Wow! Ruth is a real cutie!! I'm so glad that there are some rare folks like you who see the value in a beautiful animal like Ruth!! You are awesome!!!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Eavlynn
Thanks Axis! I feel pretty lucky to have ended up with Ruth. I couldn't as for a sweeter girl. I fashioned a Ruth-accessible lay box for her, since she's gravid. Apparently this isn't her first time laying slugs around breeding season. She has a new UVB bulb on the way, since the age of the current bulb is unknown. I want to make sure she's getting the most out of everything I can provide for her.

This morning I was lucky enough to get some quick photos! She even posed for her little photoshoot she's such a doll!

Tonight is cricket night! Hopefully she eats without any issues. I offered some yellow squash last night, which she seemed very put off by. She hissed at them. So perhaps we'll try something else haha, I think I have a recipe I can use the squash in.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #4
Nanci
What a beauty! I love dragons. So much personality. I wonder if a trip to the vet might be beneficial, for nutritional supplementation info.

A 40 breeder makes a decent easy viv.

To get her to stop laying slugs (because she may continue, and it has to be negatively impacting her MBD) you can shorten her photo period. If she doesn't stop, and you have the funds, you might want to consider an oophorectomy. But I'd play with the photo period first.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
DollysMom
Ruth is so cute! She looks very engaged and inquisitive. Congrats.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #6
Eavlynn
I do have a spare 40 gallon, but its smaller than her current set up, and she uses every inch of the space that she has. I might not be a fan of the enclosure due to the cosmetics, or lack thereof, but she doesnt seem to mind. I'll definitely try a shorter photo period. I'd hate for her to deprive herself of nutrients for the sake of laying slugs. If I can find a solid reptile vet in the area, I'd like to take her for a wellness check, and get a price check on an oophorectomy if the shorter photo period doesn't do the trick. I have virtually no faith in the "reptile vet" I took one of my carpet pythons to. She was given a clean bill of health despite the issues I informed them that she was having and passed away shortly after.

Ruth is doing well. She ate some dusted crickets yesterday. Today I'm going to try to introduce some veggies to see what she will and won't eat. And then we'll see what she thinks of bath time!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:00 AM   #7
Eavlynn
Thanks Dollysmom she's very curious, and alert. We're going through some rough stuff right now, and having her around has brightened up my world. I hope to get her healthy and as happy as she makes me.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 AM   #8
DollysMom
I'm so glad that she has brought light to a rough time. I fully identify. I know that you will do everything possible and get her as healthy as possible. She deserves the best and you are it!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:29 PM   #9
Eavlynn
Ruth started laying earlier today after a nice warm bath. She's pushed out 20 slugs so far. I have no idea where she was hiding them! She didn't seem that big at all to me.

Since Ruth is my first bearded dragon, and she has special needs, is there anything I should do for her when she's done laying?

Old 07-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #10
Joba
She's adorable. Good for you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google