CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Ruth the Beardie

Old 07-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #61
Eavlynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeina View Post
This is awesome!!!

I had a beautiful baby girl beardie I named Fury- I used to work at Petsmart, and she was seizing in her enclosure- and since that wasn't " pleasing " and customers kept complaining, they were going to put her down as she wasn't selling.

I took her home instead, she had metabolic bone disease- she only grew a few inches before she passed away. She was my first bearded dragon, too. I loved her so much and I wanted her to live a happy life but she deteriorated after a year and I had to put her to sleep.
It is so heartwarming seeing someone else able to take on such an amazing animal with such a difficult disease.
I can't wait to hear more about her! Nice job!
It sounds like they had some serious flaws in their husbandry. I'm sorry that your little girl didn't make it. It's unfortunate that she had to suffer because of a pet store's lack of caring and education. You did a good thing, trying to get her healthy. Bearded dragons are a big, but rewarding responsibility, and you are wonderful for taking in a beardie in poor condition as your first.

I'm thankful that Ruth appears to have only mild to moderate MBD.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:00 PM   #62
Eavlynn
Ruth and I had some cuddle time on the couch after I brought her inside. After a bit, she crawled over to the pillow all by herself. She's getting around much more efficiently and even got on top of one of her hide boxes to bask. It's about time to redo her enclosure and add ramps and railed platforms for her!

Old 07-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #63
DollysMom
I'm glad to see her and her beard such a happy color this morning. She's totally awesome. Did she ever wind up in the right place. In spite of the vet visit I think she knows it. I'm so glad she continues to make progress so quickly and is more and more mobile. Keep the updates coming! I'm sure I'm not the only one who is in love with your Ruth.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #64
Zombiegirl
So happy to hear she's doing so well! She's got a lot of sass I can tell lol.

Quote:
why must good reptile vets be such a rare and endangered breed..
No joke...I work for a vet but he doesn't see reptiles, so I had to find *another* vet to see my beardie Nancy when she was ill and one of my snakes...I'm glad I did, he's a good guy but I wish my boss saw them, would make my life easier...Now that I'm going to be moving to a completely different state I get to find one all over again, and this time I'll be in a less populated state so that will make it more difficult :/

Old 07-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #65
Eavlynn
DollysMom - I can't put into words how grateful and thankful Ruth and I are for your, and everyone else's support. This online community is just amazing! I can't help but think that her quick and continuing recovery is not only due to my care, but all of the well wishes and positivity from all of you I've taken in many rescues, cold blooded and warm, and none of them have come as far, as quickly, as Ruth has. Nor have we had such a wonderful support group.

Zombiegirl- I hope you're able to find a good vet in your area. I think we can all sympathize with how difficult it can be to find a vet that's experienced with reptiles, and that cares for their well being as much as we do!

Old 07-31-2016, 11:34 PM   #66
Eavlynn
Ruth kept me busy today. She was out exploring everything she could get to! She's getting around quite well, and has started climbing up onto small items. It's like having a kid that's started the 'terrible two' stage lol. I can't wait to see how she progresses with the roaches. She seems to really like them

No more laying probes on the boxes! Everything has to be moved out of reach now. I want to build her some nice wooden hides and ramps very soon. I'd also like to paint the inside of her enclosure, but don't know if there is anything beardie safe. The particle board just looks so tacky. It's funtional, and sealed, so it's easy to scrub if need be, but I'd like to do something with it nonetheless. It's as appealing as nails on a chalkboard *shudder*

Old 08-01-2016, 02:31 AM   #67
DollysMom
Lol, she looks like Queen Ruth sitting on her throne. We know who rules, lol.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #68
Eavlynn
After some contemplation, I've decided not to modify her current enclosure, and just to build a new one. Once I figure out how much space I have to work with, I want to make it larger than 4x2. I've also been wracking my brain on ventilation. Screening the top allows the excess heat to rise out, but prevents me from stacking another enclosure on top. But screening the sides would take away from her sense of security as well as some of the structural integrity, still preventing me from stacking..*sigh* I want good ventilation because she gets grumpy if it gets too warm. She doesn't even like it to be 90 for basking. Such an oddball.

In other news, she's still giving me lots of exercise, and she's quick when she really wants to get somewhere. 3 short weeks and my little girl is nearly outrunning me!

She has no problem getting on her boxes now. And tries to get through the screened areas. When I walk in she scratches at the glass until I open her enclosure, then she crawls onto my hand and she's off!

Silly kid has been boycotting her salads too, since she had a taste of dubia roaches. Terrible twos indeed.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #69
Zombiegirl
What a girl! She is looking so good I tried to offer mine roaches...they ate them once and refused them after that. Little snobs they were lol.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:19 PM   #70
KaylaEliuk
She has such a personality! And she looks so great under your care. You could maybe try to screen around the top on all sides, and it shouldn't take away from being able to stack it.
Just an idea

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google