CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Ringneck

Old 06-24-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Cursed_Witch
Ringneck

My brother aught a Ringneck Snake (Must be Northern cause I am in MA)a week ago but he wants to keep it.
He wants to know about basic husbandry and care.

Anyone can give any information, specialy on feeding.
I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Old 06-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Tula_Montage
You may want to look into state laws about keeping native reptiles first, a lot of states do not allow it.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Cursed_Witch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage
You may want to look into state laws about keeping native reptiles first, a lot of states do not allow it.
I checked and I didn't find anything about Ringnecks
http://www.umass.edu/nrec/snake_pit/pages/prot.html

Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Roy Munson
Here's something:

Ringneck Care Sheet

Old 06-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Cegninedorf
I checked into the UMass-Amherst link that you included, and per PA's Dept of Natural Resources, as well, ringnecks are short-ish harmless snakes that simply get into some people's homes & they do not pose a threat. Occasionally they will bite, and some will release a "foul musk." (That would be enough for me to want to set it free!) But otherwise, no site stated that it *couldn't* be kept...

So, from what I read, seems to be ok to keep it...

However, I also found this: a person in Quebec recorded his progress with having found ringnecks and how the snakes subsequently died from not being able to handle captivity (their scales also seemed to all develop blisters of some sort before death...doesn't sound too pleasant to me...). While your brother probably could keep the snake, it doesn't sound like he should...Ringneck Diary

Then again, that's all I found in about 5 mins of looking, and I've never heard of the snake before, so I'm certainly no expert. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
cornspot
I caught one but could not get it feeding (I was not interested in trying to find it salamanders). I tried earthworms, crickets, mealworms, waxworms, and pill bugs. Finally let it go. It was very cute.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google