CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items For Sale Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, can be posted within this area. ALL members can place ads in this section.

Out of work dog needs a home, Northern VA

Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #21
alan
Selena has one more day, the local shelter is closed on Monday. I'm still waiting for answers from a couple places, but I have nothing yet.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #22
alan
Selena was picked up by a wonderful woman and taken to her rescue orginization. She's on her way to finding a real home!
I went to her vet at lunchtime to see what resources they had. She gave me a number to call and after we talked for a while she said, "let me call her now". A short phone call and she was on her way.
She evaluated her as "very adoptable", and took her right away.(my first use of smilies, ever)
Keep watching for her at www.pups2luv.com

Old 06-16-2008, 04:51 PM   #23
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
Selena was picked up by a wonderful woman and taken to her rescue orginization. She's on her way to finding a real home!
I went to her vet at lunchtime to see what resources they had. She gave me a number to call and after we talked for a while she said, "let me call her now". A short phone call and she was on her way.
She evaluated her as "very adoptable", and took her right away.(my first use of smilies, ever)
Keep watching for her at www.pups2luv.com
That's terrific news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
Susan, Have you ever sold a snake that you no longer "needed" (perhaps you no longer "needed" the hets, it was a poor breeder, or the fascination ran out)? How is buying a dog for a specific purpose and it not fulfilling that purpose (or being replaced by a "visual morph") then selling it any different?

Sorry I dont seen anything different than what many of us do on a daily basis.

And yes, I have a dog, and I love him, and I got him for a specific purpose (to be a companion) if he stops being that and stops doing his job I will get rid of him.

As a note: I did not say his purpose was a working dog, he is one (versatile gun dog, points, retrieves, and tracks wounded/dead animals), and does a great job at it, but his main role, the reason I got him was a companion. If I had got him just to work and hunt, and he stopped doing that or never did, he would be gone in an instant, same as if I got him as a stud and he couldnt do that.
Yes, I have sold a total of 5 adult snakes, keeping them until the right new owners were found, which for some was years. They all went to good homes where they were needed and welcome. I did not simply take them to a shelter the moment they were no longer "needed" in hopes of them being adopted within a couple of days before being euthanized. Big difference, IMO.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #24
diamondlil
Wonderful news! I'm so glad you took the time and trouble to find her a new home

Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #25
Maize411
Talking

I'm really glad to hear she's on her way o getting a good home....She seems like such a sweet dog...I would have hated to hear that she was being placed in a pound...I really hope she finds a good home...Its great to know there are kind people like you that really go out of their way to help a sweet dog find a deserving home :0) koodles to you!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #26
Cegninedorf
I'm thrilled thrilled thrilled for Selena! Thank you for not giving up & being optimistic for her...I only adopt animals from shelters because they deserve a second chance & not death. If I lived closer, I'd have replied to this thread in an instant! Selena's new family will be a lucky one, indeed.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #27
Vinman
yea!!!! awaaa, too cool

Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #28
diego
Well done Alan !

Old 06-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #29
alan
Thanks, everyone. Suzi said that Selena settled right in at the rescue. Maybe she won't have displacement anxieties at all! It shouldn't be hard to find her a home she's a sweet, smart girl.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #30
kathylove
Well done!

Thanks for caring so much! It's such a shame to see a good dog (or cat) disposed of like that.

Yes, I would sell my snakes that I no longer need. Although I occasionally have a "special snake" that I actually feel a sort of bonding to, and would keep it whether it ever breeds or not, I do not really bond with the snakes in the same way as with a cat or dog (or horse, or other companion animal). I have always felt more towards snakes like I would with tropical fish - I love to look at them and enjoy their colors and even personality. And I want them to have good care. But I just don't feel towards them in the same way as with my cats.

It always seemed strange to me that somebody would get a dog or cat, and NOT feel bonded enough to it to keep it forever, or at least go to very long lengths to make sure it had a good home if they can't keep it. But then I know that many people seem to feel as bonded to their snakes as I do to my cats, so I guess it is an individual trait.

But anyway, good job!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google