CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Welcome to Cornsnakes.com: User Guide and Tips for New Members
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
zwyatt
Arrow Welcome to Cornsnakes.com: User Guide and Tips for New Members

Welcome, everyone, to the internet’s foremost authority on cornsnakes. Rest assured that just about any help or info you could want about corns is either already here or that someone here can help you with your questions. This forum is composed of a wonderful group of members from many backgrounds and from all across the world. Whether you’re looking for information or advice or just looking to meet some folks with common interests to share stories and photos with, this is the place to do it. Here in this thread I’ve compiled a few basics for you to get acquainted with before you get started posting. Familiarizing yourself with these easy to follow guidelines will make your stay a very positive experience.

This forum has a very relaxed atmosphere. There are a few rules that have been implemented by the forum’s administrator/moderator (Rich Z).

The basic rules:

1) SIGNATURE AREAS – PLEASE limit signature areas to no more than 4 lines total. BLANK lines embedded in your signature DO count as a line! Please no graphics or animations in signature areas. Graphics are allowed in avatars, but please no animations (i.e. .GIF).

2) ADVERTISEMENTS - Please DO NOT create threads advertising other websites (forums, businesses, blogs, etc). Attempting to draw members away from this site is an insult to the entire community and especially to its creator and administrator.

3) GENERAL CHIT-CHAT FORUM - This is a CORNSNAKE site. Please keep all the non-corn related threads in this sub-forum.

4) PHOTO GALLERY – Please only post pictures of CORNS! Hybrids and intergrades can be included in this group. All other snake species should go in the General Chit-Chat forum.

5) FOR-SALE FORUM USE – O̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶i̶b̶u̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶b̶-̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶.̶ ̶ ̶T̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶y̶p̶a̶s̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶u̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶-̶s̶a̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶d̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶u̶b̶-̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶u̶l̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶3̶-̶d̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶a̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶.̶ For sale ads may now be posted by all members (12/24/2013).

6) MISC. CORNSNAKE DISCUSSION FORUM – Please keep things in here cornsnake related!

7) CROSSING THE LINE - Members who let disagreements get out of hand, post inflammatory responses (personal attacks), or use foul language will receive a 3-Day ban from the forum. This is a time to cool down, collect your thoughts, and come back and become a valuable contributor to the community. If it happens again, you will receive a permanent ban. It may seem harsh, but rules have to be in place to keep the forum a positive place free of animosity amongst its members.

That’s it for the rules! There aren’t many rules and they are easy to follow. They’re just in place to keep the site running smoothly. Please continue to read on through the rest of the info in this thread as it is perhaps some of the most important information you will read regarding how to use this forum.

ADDITIONAL TIPS FOR AN ENJOYABLE CS.com EXPERIENCE

This is a growing community with new members coming in all the time. The existing members on this forum are a great bunch and love to see all the new members joining the group. However, there are a few tips to help you navigate and a few common courtesies that you should consider extending to the rest of the community's members. These tips will help you assimilate much more easily and help you get the most out of your stay.

1) FAQ SECTION - An awesome FAQ section has been created by Joejr14, and contains all the basics of husbandry, health, genetics, and more. If you’re just starting out and don’t know where to begin, this is what you need to check out. Click Here to get to the FAQ's

2) SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS – There is a wonderful search function that is extremely useful for finding answers to 99.9% of your questions! We encourage you to search for old threads and the FAQs to get answers. There is an excellent tutorial for learning how to effectively search these forums for information. Find it here: Click Here for the Search Tutorial
If, after you’ve searched, you *still* can’t find answers, feel free to create a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum looking for advice/opinions. The members of this forum are happy to give you any advice they can; that's what we're here for!

3) PROPER SPELLING AND GRAMMAR – This is a VERY important thing. If your posts and questions are filled with misspellings and poor grammar, you won’t be taken too seriously and no one will want to read your posts. This means you won’t receive nearly as much help. A little effort goes a long way. Chat speak in posts is typically not well received.
If you’re not a great speller, there is a spellcheck you can use before submitting your posts. If you’re not a grammar expert, just make sure you capitalize the right words and use periods/question marks.
Note for Non-Native English speakers: Don’t worry if your English isn’t perfect. We are all understanding of these situations. There are many members from countries where English is not the first language. Just do your best and no one will hold it against you.

4) GIVE YOUR THREADS DESCRIPTIVE TITLES - When starting a new thread, it is best to be as descriptive as possible in the title. This not only helps those of us who are skimming the forum for threads that are worth our time, but also makes it much easier for other members to search the forum and find information.
If you title your thread "Help, I need help!" that doesn't give anyone any clues as to what your problem is. Some members won't even open threads with such titles.
Instead, be descriptive. If your snake is exhibiting certain symptoms, try to include them in your title. Something like "Help, brown spot on nose and sneezing" would be much more helpful than the example I gave in the previous paragraph.

5) FOUL LANGUAGE – Cursing is not only ill-received by forum members it will also earn you a 3-day banning from the forum. If it continues you will receive a permanent ban period.

6) DON’T BE AFRAID TO SPEAK YOUR MIND – This forum is made up of a diverse group of people with very different viewpoints. We all disagree at times, but that doesn’t stop us from saying what we believe. If someone says something that you don’t care for, don’t let it get under your skin. Try to keep a cool head and don’t let things bother you too much.
Also, keep an eye out for smilies (emoticons like these --> , etc...) and sarcasm. It can be easy to misinterpret someone's words online. Occasionally, members like to give one another a good-natured ribbing. Try to keep and open mind and not take it as a personal attack. More often than not, things are said in jest and not in a derogatory manner.

7) INTRODUCE YOURSELF - There is a sub-forum for new members to introducve themselves to the rest of the community. Feel free to give whatever details you like about your pets, family, occupation, etc. We all love to read about the new members and get a feel for who you are!

8) A "MUST SEE" VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIyr5TXqe8Y

That’s really all there is for the rules and the netiquette. Hopefully, you’ll be posting on the forum in no time. I think I speak for all the forum’s members when I say that I’m looking forward to talking with you and can’t wait to see your pictures!

Thanks to all the contributing members who helped me revise this to make it what you see today. Also, thanks to Cegninedorf for giving me some new member perspective/feedback on this thread.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
JAG 32
Great Job Zach!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
Tula_Montage
Thank the lordie

Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
jakeysnakey
hi just seeing if this works .bye

Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeysnakey
hi just seeing if this works .bye

FYI, there is a test area on this forum where you can attempt a first post or picture submission etc. This thread is not for that purpose

TEST AREA:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Old 09-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
gwb8568
nice job buddy............long overdue and hopefully will prevent some of the nonsense on here.

Old 09-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
kimmy
fulham fc hi just seeing if i am doin right

undefinedundefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyatt
Welcome, everyone, to the internet’s foremost authority on cornsnakes. Rest assured that just about any help or info you could want about corns is either already here or that someone here can help you with your questions. This forum is composed of a wonderful group of members from many backgrounds and from all across the world. Whether you’re looking for information or advice or just looking to meet some folks with common interests to share stories and photos with, this is the place to do it. Here in this thread I’ve compiled a few basics for you to get acquainted with before you get started posting. Familiarizing yourself with these easy to follow guidelines will make your stay a very positive experience.

This forum has a very relaxed atmosphere. There are a few rules that have been implemented by the forum’s administrator/moderator (Rich Z).

The basic rules:

1) SIGNATURE AREAS – PLEASE limit signature areas to no more than 4 lines total. BLANK lines embedded in your signature DO count as a line! Please no graphics or animations in signature areas. Graphics are allowed in avatars, but please no animations (i.e. .GIF).

2) ADVERTISEMENTS - Please DO NOT create threads advertising other websites (forums, businesses, blogs, etc). Attempting to draw members away from this site is an insult to the entire community and especially to its creator and administrator.

3) GENERAL CHIT-CHAT FORUM - This is a CORNSNAKE site. Please keep all the non-corn related threads in this sub-forum.

4) PHOTO GALLERY – Please only post pictures of CORNS! Hybrids and intergrades can be included in this group. All other snake species should go in the General Chit-Chat forum.

5) FOR-SALE FORUM USE – Only contributing members are allowed to start threads in this sub-forum. Trying to bypass this rule by posting for-sale ads in other sub-forums is not allowed and will result in a 3-day ban from the site.

6) MISC. CORNSNAKE DISCUSSION FORUM – Please keep things in here cornsnake related!

7) CROSSING THE LINE - Members who let disagreements get out of hand, post inflammatory responses (personal attacks), or use foul language will receive a 3-Day ban from the forum. This is a time to cool down, collect your thoughts, and come back and become a valuable contributor to the community. If it happens again, you will receive a permanent ban. It may seem harsh, but rules have to be in place to keep the forum a positive place free of animosity amongst its members.

That’s it for the rules! There aren’t many rules and they are easy to follow. They’re just in place to keep the site running smoothly. Please continue to read on through the rest of the info in this thread as it is perhaps some of the most important information you will read regarding how to use this forum.

ADDITIONAL TIPS FOR AN ENJOYABLE CS.com EXPERIENCE

This is a growing community with new members coming in all the time. The existing members on this forum are a great bunch and love to see all the new members joining the group. However, there are a few tips to help you navigate and a few common courtesies that you should consider extending to the rest of the community's members. These tips will help you assimilate much more easily and help you get the most out of your stay.

1) FAQ SECTION - An awesome FAQ section has been created by Joejr14, and contains all the basics of husbandry, health, genetics, and more. If you’re just starting out and don’t know where to begin, this is what you need to check out. Click Here to get to the FAQ's

2) SEARCHING FOR ANSWERS – There is a wonderful search function that is extremely useful for finding answers to 99.9% of your questions! We encourage you to search for old threads and the FAQs to get answers. There is an excellent tutorial for learning how to effectively search these forums for information. Find it here: Click Here for the Search Tutorial
If, after you’ve searched, you *still* can’t find answers, feel free to create a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum looking for advice/opinions. The members of this forum are happy to give you any advice they can; that's what we're here for!

3) PROPER SPELLING AND GRAMMAR – This is a VERY important thing. If your posts and questions are filled with misspellings and poor grammar, you won’t be taken too seriously and no one will want to read your posts. This means you won’t receive nearly as much help. A little effort goes a long way. Chat speak in posts is typically not well received.
If you’re not a great speller, there is a spellcheck you can use before submitting your posts. If you’re not a grammar expert, just make sure you capitalize the right words and use periods/question marks.
Note for Non-Native English speakers: Don’t worry if your English isn’t perfect. We are all understanding of these situations. There are many members from countries where English is not the first language. Just do your best and no one will hold it against you.

4) GIVE YOUR THREADS DESCRIPTIVE TITLES - When starting a new thread, it is best to be as descriptive as possible in the title. This not only helps those of us who are skimming the forum for threads that are worth our time, but also makes it much easier for other members to search the forum and find information.
If you title your thread "Help, I need help!" that doesn't give anyone any clues as to what your problem is. Some members won't even open threads with such titles.
Instead, be descriptive. If your snake is exhibiting certain symptoms, try to include them in your title. Something like "Help, brown spot on nose and sneezing" would be much more helpful than the example I gave in the previous paragraph.

5) FOUL LANGUAGE – Cursing is not only ill-received by forum members it will also earn you a 3-day banning from the forum. If it continues you will receive a permanent ban period.

6) DON’T BE AFRAID TO SPEAK YOUR MIND – This forum is made up of a diverse group of people with very different viewpoints. We all disagree at times, but that doesn’t stop us from saying what we believe. If someone says something that you don’t care for, don’t let it get under your skin. Try to keep a cool head and don’t let things bother you too much.
Also, keep an eye out for smilies (emoticons like these --> , etc...) and sarcasm. It can be easy to misinterpret someone's words online. Occasionally, members like to give one another a good-natured ribbing. Try to keep and open mind and not take it as a personal attack. More often than not, things are said in jest and not in a derogatory manner.

7) INTRODUCE YOURSELF - There is a sub-forum for new members to introducve themselves to the rest of the community. Feel free to give whatever details you like about your pets, family, occupation, etc. We all love to read about the new members and get a feel for who you are!

That’s really all there is for the rules and the netiquette. Hopefully, you’ll be posting on the forum in no time. I think I speak for all the forum’s members when I say that I’m looking forward to talking with you and can’t wait to see your pictures!

Thanks to all the contributing members who helped me revise this to make it what you see today. Also, thanks to Cegninedorf for giving me some new member perspective/feedback on this thread.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyatt
FYI, there is a test area on this forum where you can attempt a first post or picture submission etc. This thread is not for that purpose

TEST AREA:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16
....^^^^....

Guess this threads gonna have to be locked

Old 09-08-2006, 03:49 AM   #9
Pumilio
This looks awesome, thanks for putting so much work into this!

Old 02-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #10
666killademon
Exclamation

how do u create ur own thread???????????????????????

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread