CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Don’t know if this is an issue but...

Old 02-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #1
Seaweedthesnake
Don’t know if this is an issue but...

Today was the first feeding for my baby since I brought her home. I was told to feed her two pinkies every Wednesday.

So I attempted to. I took her out, said hello and weighed her. She is 8 grams. I put her in a container much smaller than her enclosure and is clear but blocked on 3 sides.

The pinky was warm and right in front of her nose so I left for a bit and she still seemed uninterested so I poked a hole in the head of (brained) the pinkie, walked away again and when I came back she was wolfing it down!

So I did the same with the second one but she wouldn’t take it. I tried to get her more interested without irritating her and the sweet thing did not get irritated but she was climbing up the wall of the feeding “room” so I let her back into her enclosure. (It’s a personal preference for me not to feed in her enclosure at this time unless it really can’t be avoided)

She pooped in a corner then happily slithered and curled up in her warm hide. She seemed content...

However, is it a problem she was supposedly taking two every week and now only would take one this week??

Also the only feeding by weight chart I found said at her weight she should be eating only one, but every 4-5 days??

What is the truth!? Am I over or under feeding and is she okay???

Thanks!!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
an 8 gram snake should not be eating 2 pinkies. No way. That's way too much food. In fact and 8 gram snake might struggle with even 1 pinky.

Most of us feed according to the "Munson Feeding Plan" which you can find online or even at this forum. This plan is loosely based on feeding a food item that weighs about 13% of the snake's weight as a baby and gradually dropping back to about 8% of the snake's weight as an adult.

Therefore your snake, an 8 gram snake, should be eating about 1 gram at each feeding. Yes, we weigh both the snake and the food.

You stated the snake was 6 months old. I find this really strange as 8 grams is the typical weight of a new born hatchling. A 6 month old snake should weigh much more than 8 grams, I would think maybe about 20 to 40 grams.

Are you sure your scale is right and you're reading it correctly??????

If that is right, please don't over feed the snake. Most people don't feed 2 pinkies until the snake reaches about 20 grams in weight.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
67temp
At only 8 grams she should be getting one pinkey. Maybe the breeder was feeding 2 tiny or day old pinkies as opposed to the sized of pinkies you may have. I would do one every 4-5 days.

Some of my frozen pinkies are almost the size of a fuzzy and way bigger than the live day old pinks I produce.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ghlight=munson

The above link is a simple version of the munson feeding plan. Your snake will be healthier and happier if you follow it.

Also, in case you don't know, Over feeding can cause the snake to regurgitate. Regurgitation in snakes is harmful and can even be fatal. We recommend you do not handle your snake after feeding. Wait for it to poop before you handle it again, especially since it ate so much this feeding. Handling can bring about a regurgitation.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #5
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
an 8 gram snake should not be eating 2 pinkies. No way. That's way too much food. In fact and 8 gram snake might struggle with even 1 pinky.

Most of us feed according to the "Munson Feeding Plan" which you can find online or even at this forum. This plan is loosely based on feeding a food item that weighs about 13% of the snake's weight as a baby and gradually dropping back to about 8% of the snake's weight as an adult.

Therefore your snake, an 8 gram snake, should be eating about 1 gram at each feeding. Yes, we weigh both the snake and the food.

You stated the snake was 6 months old. I find this really strange as 8 grams is the typical weight of a new born hatchling. A 6 month old snake should weigh much more than 8 grams, I would think maybe about 20 to 40 grams.

Are you sure your scale is right and you're reading it correctly??????

If that is right, please don't over feed the snake. Most people don't feed 2 pinkies until the snake reaches about 20 grams in weight.
Okay I’m glad she only took the one then! She seemed to do okay with the one.

I shall check the link you posted! Thank you

I’m beginning to think the place I got her had a bunch of things wrong then because although I’m not entirely sure my scale is spot on it’s a food scale I use daily and has been correct for that. My husband set it up to weigh her but I put her in and it did say 8 grams and .02 oz with my own eyes. She is rather short too, a foot or less so maybe she is quite young.

Alright I won’t! I don’t want to overfeed her and I know she won’t die if she’s a little underfed but I’d rather feed her spot on than less or more.

I appreciate you once again for leaving me information!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ghlight=munson

The above link is a simple version of the munson feeding plan. Your snake will be healthier and happier if you follow it.

Also, in case you don't know, Over feeding can cause the snake to regurgitate. Regurgitation in snakes is harmful and can even be fatal. We recommend you do not handle your snake after feeding. Wait for it to poop before you handle it again, especially since it ate so much this feeding. Handling can bring about a regurgitation.
I have heard the ugliness of regurgitation! I will not handle her and will keep a close eye. Thank you much.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #7
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
At only 8 grams she should be getting one pinkey. Maybe the breeder was feeding 2 tiny or day old pinkies as opposed to the sized of pinkies you may have. I would do one every 4-5 days.

Some of my frozen pinkies are almost the size of a fuzzy and way bigger than the live day old pinks I produce.
I suppose that’s quite possible! The pinkies I have are rather large from what I expected. They are almost wider than my pinkie and the length from my knuckle to the tip of my pinky. They were the smallest the store had so I will see what else I can find.

And thank you for the time frame, I was concerned that 7 days was too long.

Thanks!!

Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 AM   #8
CornsAustria
8 g !!!!! Thats small ! like a hatchling !
My babies who came fresh out of the eggs still have 10 to 12g as newborn !!!
Are you sure the baby has still eaten ??
So you can be happy that she eat one times, do not border her with a second - she first have to get a way bigger till you can feed her more !
(ps: we feed our fresh hatched babies every 3 - 4 days, when we see that they diggest well !)

Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 AM   #9
Seaweedthesnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornsAustria View Post
8 g !!!!! Thats small ! like a hatchling !
My babies who came fresh out of the eggs still have 10 to 12g as newborn !!!
Are you sure the baby has still eaten ??
So you can be happy that she eat one times, do not border her with a second - she first have to get a way bigger till you can feed her more !
(ps: we feed our fresh hatched babies every 3 - 4 days, when we see that they diggest well !)
Oh wow I didn’t think she was so young! I feel like I must have weighed her wrong or something but I can’t imagine how 😅

Oh yes I’m positive she ate. I’m definitely happy!

Okay thank you so much! I will see if she digests well and then try to offer her another c:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google