• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2 snakes of opposite sex in one viv (young)

wisconsin

brandon
i have a snow and a ghost. the snow i've had about 3 weeks and the ghost i've had about 2 days (lol). they are both young (ghost is 5 weeks old, snow im not sure of but i would say 3-4 months old). ANYWAY, they both are picky eaters and the snow only ate once since i had him. ive been trying to feed her (the snow) the last couple of nights in a row(she hasn't eaten in 10 days) but i keep wasting pinkies. i leave them in over night (but before i do that i dangle them in front of her---she won't take 'em). ive gone through 5 pinkies in the past five nights. how often do i wait in between feedings to offer another pinkie........??????
anything else i can try????? PLEASE HELP, ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i need to try some new tricks?????
i probably just need more patience but i want them both to be big snakes........please just give me feeding tips or something------i know you guys can help me----thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!

you should probably seperate them first- feeding problems could be due to stress.
then check out the FAQ and there should be some ideas to try.

I agree on seperating them. While it is possible through exhaustive research and impeccable care practices to successfully co-hab cornsnakes, it is certainly not recommended for novice keepers, because of the wide variety of health issues it can lead to including stress, communicable diseases(mites and internal protozoa), and cannibalism.

Once that is done...

You should not try to feed a refuser for consecutive nights. It only increases the level of stress that the snake is feeling, and, as you found out, wastes food. Instead, when the snake refuses, make them wait until the next scheduled feeding day. This not only assures that they are hungry for the next feeding, but also minimizes unnecessary stress.

If, after waiting until the next scheduled feeding, your snake still refuses to feed, there are several things you can try:
1-try washing the pinky with Ivory soap and water. Sometimes, pinky mice will have the stench of adult mouse urine on them, which can turn a hungry snake away.
2-put 2 or 3 superficial slices through the skin down the pinkie's back to draw out more scent and hopefully instigate the feeding response.
3-(assuming you're feeding f/t)put a hole in the base of the skull of the pinky. Make sure some of the brain fluid is leaking, as this will usually arouse a non-feeder.
4-try a live pinky
5-try a live CUT pinky(see number 2)
6-try "scenting" the pinky with tuna water or freshly shed lizard skin(preferably anole as this is usually one of the first prey items they encounter in the wild)

There are many, many other "tricks" you can try, but one or a combination of several of the above *should* get your little guy feeding...

It's a risk, but if they haven't eaten each other yet...

I don't think anybody is going to tell you it's OK. Nobody wants that sort of "icky feeling" if one of them dies tonight due to cannibalism. As far as parasitic transferral, both internal and external, goes, whatever possible damage there *could* be is most likely already done, although 2 more nights together isn't going to make that any better...

It's your call. All we can do is make you aware of the potential for devestating reults and poetential issues.

Back