CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Ball Python living with corns

Old 08-09-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Alex Dew
Ball Python living with corns

Hey all

Its my birthday in a week and I have been looking for a 2ft corn to live in the same viv as my other 2ft normal corn does. Went to my local Reptial and fish shop to day to see what they had and they had no corns which would live in the same viv wit my other corn. But when I was just about to give up saw a 1 1/2 Ball Python which cost £70. Luckly the guy who breeds most of thesnakes in that shop was there. I talked to him about putting this Python with my 2ft corn and he said that is should be fine because the Python is not bigger than the corn and that the python would only grow to 5ft. So I dicided to get the python next weekend. I know a few people who have Ball Pythons and corns in th same viv so I think i would be ok, but I thought I better ask all of you also.

So please reply telig me what you think.

Thanks

Alex

Old 08-09-2003, 06:55 PM   #2
pinatamonkey
No, actually it's not ok. Ball pythons do need it hotter and more humid than a corn snake (not to say a corn wouldn't do fine in those conditions, but it would be pushing it), and...
Although the adult lenghts are similar, ball pythons are a lot heavier for their length and could crush a corn. I've read that a large adult corn would be around 700g (the corn snake manual says the largest 6ft corns are only 1000g, and that size is not very common), while the -minimum- breeding size for a female ball python is 1500g!

Ball pythons also are generally more timid and easily stressed than a corn, and an active corn snake cruising around the cage could easily stress it out.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:06 PM   #3
Alicia
I agree with Pinatamonkey, the needs of these animals are very different.

If you were to keep the two together you would be requiring each to compromise their ideal environment. That would be very unfair to the animals.

Please do some research on Ball Pythons and see if it's the pet for you. I think if you do the research you will see why it's not a good idea to house them together

Good luck and I hope you reconsider.

Old 08-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #4
Sparda
I agree with the other 2 posters, besides totally different requirements, and the obvious size difference. They are two totally different "types" or species of snakes. I would also be afraid of the BP killing the corn snake. I have 1 BP, he stays in the same room with my corns, but I would never put him in the same viv with them. As the first person said, BP's stress out very easily, and when that happens they usually go off food, and that is a problem you would not want to deal with.
I hope you decide against this, if you want the BP, then get another viv for him to stay in. But like Alicia said, read up on BP care before you decide to purchase. They are alot different to care for than a corn snake. Corns are alot hardier, and more forgiving of mistakes.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
Darin Chappell
With all due respect to the "guy at the petshop" (who might have an alterior motive for telling you that, by the way), I would strongly advise against housing a BP with a corn, for all of the very good reasons given in the above posts.

Old 08-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #6
Missymonkey
Your lps dealer probably told you it was ok because he/she wanted to make a sale. I wouldn't do it. Think about this: would you want to live with a gorilla? Not me, it's big hairy and smells bad, that's probably what your corn would be thinking.

Plus wouldn't you feel bad if they did fight and one of them died? Why risk it, just get a rubbermaid tub and seperate them.

Old 08-10-2003, 05:31 AM   #7
rachel132002
yeah this is what I said to Alex he loves this snake so why put it at risk? It really does sound like this 'expert' has no clue as to what he's doing alex, think about it I'm 15 and I realised it would be dumb to put them together so what the heck - this guy calls himself an expert????? And is this the same person that thinks a 23" corn is eatin 2 rat pups??? So anyway if you can't afford a proper vivarium get one of the rubbermaid htings or a plastic carry box and put some heat tape on it or get a corn roughly the same size in the same 1 and as for your eagerness to breed play for time don't rush because if oyu can't ufnd a 2nd vivarium you'll find it VERY hard to fund breeding - sorry but do what you feel and if you do mix the two then good luck to oyu and I'd watch their interaction VERY carefully!

Rach

Old 08-10-2003, 08:57 PM   #8
BloodyCats
I agree with everyone, don't house them together. But I'd also like to say ball pythons rock. If you can afford to set it up in it's own cage and are able to do some good research first, I would reccomend a ball as another species to keep besides corns. I have balls and corns and I love my balls for totally different reasons than the corns. They're a nice contrast to own with different personalities and behaviors. If you do decide on the ball, make sure you read up on them as much as possible and if you can, see it eat before you buy it. Also, remember to quarrantine the new snake from the existing one, no matter what type of snake you end up getting. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #9
zeek
i beg to differ

i have read that the temp for a ball needs to be 80-85 and a 90 basking place. almost the same as a corn snake. the stress it may cause that is different. for example a good freind of mine has a corn and two balls living together he purchased the balls together and the corn a week later the are now almost a year old the only time he seperates them is to feed.
so the choice is yours if it doesnt eat buy a new tank.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:41 PM   #10
drizzt_19
Re: i beg to differ

Quote:
Originally posted by zeek
i have read that the temp for a ball needs to be 80-85 and a 90 basking place. almost the same as a corn snake. the stress it may cause that is different. for example a good freind of mine has a corn and two balls living together he purchased the balls together and the corn a week later the are now almost a year old the only time he seperates them is to feed.
so the choice is yours if it doesnt eat buy a new tank.
Zeek, I beg to differ with you...If his BP' are a year old and he still has a corn in the tank this could be diastrous to the corns...While the temps may be similar, the size is not...Think of this, the average weight of a female breeder sized BP is 1500 grams...The average weight of a good female breeder corn is 300 grams!!!That means an adult BP would weigh almost 5 times the weight of the corn...Take into that, the fact that most females reach this size in 2 yrs...Almost the same time it takes a female corn to reach breeder size...That little corn could get crushed!!!

Just my two cents,

Gregg

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google