CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Should I breed my corn snake?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
pheonix
So you throw out those eggs from the second clutch because you were worried about not being able to sell them or cause you didn't have enough room? I've thought about throwing out a few eggs if i get a large clutch, just to be sure I don't get in over my head.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
Chip
Both, really. With deli cups, I can house many hundreds of babies, but I don't like making morphs that the supply is stronger than the demand on. In this case, I don't want more normal tesseras. I'd pay a lot of money to know what was in each egg and only hatch those, but that's a super-power I don't have and I can't bring myself to feed off perfectly healthy babies just because of their genetics.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
pheonix
That's good to know. Did you just put them in a freezer?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
Chip
Yeah, overnight and then into a trashcan. I figure there's a 0% chance of them developing outdoors in the WNC mountains in October, but just in case.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
SnakeAround
Great post Chip! I like your values about breeding, especially that even people who would breed very common morphs have the right to enjoy the experience! Many breeders of higher end morphs think that they shouldn't because there's no use... well, I think that's just plain arrogant. There is no real need to breed any corns at all you know...

Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Chip
I think everybody who loves these things should have the experience. I remember my first clutch that had morphs in it -each egg potentially having a different color baby in it was too much. The fanciest thing I stood to produce was snow, but I daydreamed about that clutch hatching! And when it did, it was as exciting as anything expensive I've since hatched. I would discourage anyone from producing large numbers of very common mutations, however. Unless there's a demand for them abroad that doesn't exist here, the low, low wholesale price dooms the animals to poor care and I never want anyone to contribute to that problem. Yes, some will be lucky, but I'd hate to think of my babies going to a life of cohabbing in a hot rock heated PetSmart rack and being offered crickets. Extreme example, but one that was posted in this very forum.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #17
airenlow
Just to emphasize the crappy part...

Get a king!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
SnakeAround
Or a freezer!

Old 12-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #19
Tavia
Great thread! I'm thinking of maybe breeding my pair of corns next year and am wrestling with some of the issues you brought up in trying to decide whether to do it or not. I don't think I'd have too much problem culling a baby that is in some way sub-par but haven't figured out exactly how I'd best be able to go about it or what exactly I personally would consider sub-par enough to warrant culling. They would be fed to someone else though, because it's easier for me to know that in dying, they had purpose in helping keep something else alive. Not sure I could actually discard eggs though, even though I am a bit worried about a big clutch getting me in above my head. I'm simply too curious about what is in each egg to be able to never know. That would probably drive me crazy.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
rich333
Chip,

Awesome Post! Nicely worded & put together. And So much truth in there it Hurts!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google