CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corn snake enclosures

Old 05-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #31
axis1
CornSnakeUser:

Hello and Welcome again! My name is Monty and I live in Brooklyn.

I should preface anything else I say with the fact that I am a mental health professional who works in the area of abnormal human behavior (homo sapiens vs. pantherophis guttatus, the latter of which is the technical name for the corn snake species). My knowledge of reptiles comes from experience and reading/research. In other words, I am a self-taught herp-lover, like most here, but there are some here who care for cornsnakes with little more intensity than if it were merely a hobby and I would defer to them to translate the nuances of the characteristic & behaviors of corn snakes.

That being said, "cuddling" and social "bonding" are behaviors that are probably alien to the reptilian brain of a corn snake. While I affectionately assign my corns subjective qualities such as "cute & cuddly," I'd bet a week's salary that if a female corn didn't leave the area where she laid her clutch that she would most probably eat/devour the hatchlings once they did emerge from the shells of their eggs! (IMHO but not something I'd wanna see!)

My snakes were together for 8 years, as I previously stated. Now they can't see nor smell each other (at least, not that I am aware) but if daddio207 didn't respond to my recent inquiry in a previous thread (see "2 male corns mating? HELP!" under Breeding/Egg Production & Care), I might have NEVER looked up the article on cohabitation that I cited in my previous post.

This site has helped me more than any other source of info I have researched on corn snakes. However, all of it would be just info wasted on deaf ears if I did not have an open mind. At the end of the day, I can honestly say I believe I did the right thing by my sneaky ones!

Just sayin.

(It's all good and especially if we learn from it!)

Old 05-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #32
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
Huh I've never seen those before but I like them!!! Does anyone know if there is a glue that you can safely use inside the viv?

Nicole
Yes Nicole, there are a lot of glues that can be used inside a cage / aquarium.
Any type of Aquarium glue or sealant can be used as well as Clear Silicone Caulking. But they require time to "Dry" or "Cure" and it can be anywhere from a few minutes to 48 hours depending on the product. So you'd have to make sure it was completely safe before reintroducing your pet.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #33
GFvanWyk
Seperated

OK

I have taken the knowledge of all the learned ones to hart and split the two of them. Whisper in the big house and Tequila in the small house.

Another question. I have a small chihuahua (Sam) it has a habit of sitting on the sofa, just watching the cages. Would you consider that stress full to the snakes?

Old 05-01-2016, 11:11 AM   #34
nicolefowler2005
Do they say safe for animals on the package?

Nicole

Old 05-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #35
Karl_Mcknight
it won't necessarily say that.

You can assume if it's made for aquariums then it's safe for animals. All of the Clear Silicone Caulkings are completely safe once they are cured.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #36
jagodzinski
I know aquarium sealant is definitely safe because it is what they use in vivs and aquariums to built them. But like Karl said, it is important you rehome your snake for 24-48 hours. You an even buy the sealant at petstores. For example, HERE is one sold at Petco.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #37
axis1
Francois:

Great idea on taking to heart what the experts here have to say on the no-no's of cohabbing. As far as your dog "watching" them, I doubt they would get stressed as long as that's all your dog does. When I was feeding one of my snakes once, however, one my kittens got by me and went right up to the tub and curiously pawed at the cover, spooking my snake who defecated as a response! Thankfully he had already swallowed his prey and didn't regurge but you see where I'm going, right?

I think we have to be ALWAYS vigilant when we own snakes AND any other animal to ensure the two NEVER have an accidental encounter, if you get my drift. I love my snakes and my cats equally and do my best 24/7 to ensure they are all happy, healthy, & safe, which entails keeping them mutually exclusive to and from each other!

Congrats again on separating your sneaky ones!

Old 05-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #38
jagodzinski
GFVanWyk - I'm so glad they are seperated!

Old 05-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #39
CornySnakeUser
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
CornSnakeUser:

Hello and Welcome again! My name is Monty and I live in Brooklyn.

I should preface anything else I say with the fact that I am a mental health professional who works in the area of abnormal human behavior (homo sapiens vs. pantherophis guttatus, the latter of which is the technical name for the corn snake species). My knowledge of reptiles comes from experience and reading/research. In other words, I am a self-taught herp-lover, like most here, but there are some here who care for cornsnakes with little more intensity than if it were merely a hobby and I would defer to them to translate the nuances of the characteristic & behaviors of corn snakes.

That being said, "cuddling" and social "bonding" are behaviors that are probably alien to the reptilian brain of a corn snake.

Just sayin.

(It's all good and especially if we learn from it!)
Once again, all intelligent species bond. As a mental health professional, you know probably better than most the curiosity a corn snake displays and the usual like of individuality and others common with curiosity. A reptilian brain is only developed by its surroundings, not just its genetics. Others can affect your personal psychology, personality, and persona a lot more than genes.

I'd recommend strongly against cohabbing, as the stress is often very great. Your two males are a prime example of this, as the two possibilities are: they are very close or they are very hostile. All contact is hard to read, and I think you did the right thing. You were very watchful for any possible signs, as all corn snake owners, especially those cohabbing snakes, should be.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #40
axis1
CornySnakeUser:

It's comforting that you don't agree with cohabbing, but let's just agree to disagree that corn snakes have the capacity to bond. Since corns are solitary creatures, do not hunt in packs, do not care for their young in any way, only come together in the wild to mate, AND have been known to be cannabalistic, there is no biological or any other need for them to "bond." Bonding, in this case or as when we think they are "cuddling," is only something that we, as humans assign hypothetically to our pets when we see them competing for the best spot in the hide or viv. Intelligence, as it relates to reptiles, only serves them in terms of their evolution and survival. Of course, this is my opinion, but I must say that it is an informed one supported by empirical evidence.

Again, just sayin.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
enclosure, setup