CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How many frozen mice should I be buying? - noob

Old 08-24-2017, 05:10 AM   #1
taitrantrong
Question How many frozen mice should I be buying? - noob

Hi, so I'm planning on getting a corn snake and I've been doing research for the past month on pretty much everything. I just got a 50 gallon tank for free which helps a lot with the total start up cost. Now all I have left is some questions about feeding. If I buy a pack of 100 frozen small pinkies, how long will that last until I need to buy more OR move up to the next size (approximately)? I did a lot of searching but I can only find information on what mice size should I feed the snake at certain weighs. I don't have any way to buy frozen mice for cheap (without the shipping cost) so I want to know how I should plan on buying the food all at once to save $$$.

Any response is much appreciated

Old 08-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
trudruid
OK, I only know what I did. There are others (I don't know why they didn't ring in) who are more qualified to answer. I know 100 is a lot. You are going to throw away a lot of them out at the end of three months (I did--and I had two little ones to feed). I was feeding one every 4-5 days, which is probably too much for some, and like all babies they grow fast...I began feeding them two pinks and then a slightly larger size. How long for the next size? I don't think anyone is going to answer THAT question without knowing weight, length, health, etc. I kind of followed the Munson Plan on that(google it). If you're like me and the trade shows are too distant you just have to bite the bullet on the shipping charges. For me, they always seem more than the product I'm buying....and I'm buying for three. I hope this helps even a little...Good Luck and Have Fun!!

Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
If I had dozens or hundreds of snakes and was in the business of breeding or selling snakes, I'd probably buy mice in bulk. But since I have only one snake at the moment, I just go to my local pet shops and buy mice as I need them. I'm not paying any shipping fees. I don't have to worry about being home when they arrive, and I never have to throw any away. And contrary to what some people might tell you, I'm probably spending less than many of them are.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:00 PM   #4
Twolunger
Unless there's a newly hatched morph that you must have, I would buy an older 2016 corn that is already large enough to take big pinkies or peach fuzzies. You won't have the expense of raising a newly hatched corn to the size of a 2016.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #5
Cane
No problem. If you have extra mice just get some more snakes! Seriously though. I bought in bulk for my guy. I moved up in size a little slower than most and when I did I threw in a smaller size along with it. Only caveat is that you really need a vacuum food sealer to store the bulk mice for longer periods.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google