CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hello again

Old 07-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
reptilelover
Hello again

HI, it's been a while since I have posted anything on the forum so thought it may be a good time to do that. I do not have a snake yet. When I first started looking I was looking at a corn snake. Well the more I look at snakes the more I get confused as to which type to get. I am definitely attracted to the Hognose and Kenyan Sand Boa (dodo Anery morph). Does anyone on this forum have any experience with the Sand Boa?. I like the idea that they stay on the small side, along with the hognose snake. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Welcome back to the forum! I'm definitely partial to corn snakes, but I gotta say that I've been wanting to get an anery sand boa. I think they are so cute. They look like little cows!

Old 07-21-2016, 08:36 PM   #3
Eavlynn
Sand boas are pretty nice. The males stay a lot smaller than the females. They are burrowing snakes and spend the majority of their time underneath their substrate. Hoggies are great if you're looking for small and active. They also enjoy burrowing, but don't stay beneath the substrate as much as sand boas. Males are the way to go if you want a small snake.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
axis1
Sand boas are extremely cute! Their small size is also a plus for many, as is their ability to give birth to live young. However, unless you enjoy seeing just the top of their heads and their cute little eyes peering out from the sand as they hide like 95% of the time, you might want to think about a type of snake that is more visible or is friendlier to handle. Just sayin'.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
DLena
What about a male BP? Small, easy to care for, docile, and Fauna Classified (our sister site) has some stunning babies for sale.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #6
Eavlynn
Male BPs still get larger than sand boas and hoggies. My adult male is 4.5 ft. I'm not sure what the OP feels comfortable with.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
reptilelover
Thank you all for your replies. It is a hard decision to make. Especially since I will only get one snake. I do like the calmness of the SB, but enjoy the activeness of the Hognose. Will post a pic when I do get one next month.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #8
DLena
We're all waiting to see what you get!

Old 07-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #9
Magdalen
Welcome, thought I'd chime in since I had a Sand Boa years ago and just got a Hognose. The sand boa was neat and all but the few times I saw her was when I went and got her out. Not too active, stayed buried except for her head. Great feeder tho.
As for the hognose, I've only had him for a few days, but I'm already smitten with him. Comes out during the day but I miss it cause I'm at work, but I've caught him a few times out and about when I'm home. Also likes to bury himself. Who wouldn't love that cute little upturned nose?

Old 07-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #10
reptilelover
Thank DLena and Magdalen. The confusion still goes on. Since I will only have one snake I want to make the best decision

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google