• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

what do the more experienced owners think??

*~* D@N BOI *~*

the light it burns!!!!
i was thinking of feeding my corn twice a week say monday morning and then again thursday evening. she's about 8 months old and im feeding small pinkies also shes about 12 inches maybe longer??? do you think i should feed her a bit more or is once a week ok. also she isnt thin or fat just lean no ribs or spine showing.

many thanks dan

A three-day interval is not enough time for digestion, in my opinion. What if you just fed her every five or six days? Feeding too often runs the risk of regurgitation, which is often followed by death.

i was thinking of feeding my corn twice a week say monday morning and then again thursday evening. she's about 8 months old and im feeding small pinkies also shes about 12 inches maybe longer??? do you think i should feed her a bit more or is once a week ok. also she isnt thin or fat just lean no ribs or spine showing.

many thanks dan

I'll be honest, I'm far from experienced.

But, I fed my corn every 4 days on single pinks, and every 5 once I got to double pinks. In your case I would feed monday and friday, and then feed the wednesday of the next week. Also, feeding friday and then moday wouldn't be a good idea. That's why you would have to wait for next wednesday.

About the thin or fat thing: Can you see very clearly see her spine?

But remember, like Dean (Roy Munson) said in the OP (Original Post), it will not work with all corns. My corn is 32 grams but he is by no means ready for fuzzies.
I don't think you're interpreting what I wrote correctly. I wrote:

...not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule.
This relates more to the frequency of feedings than the prey size. But even where it relates to prey size, it doesn't mean that your snake can't handle the size I recommend. A snake may refuse the recommended size for some reason, but that doesn't mean it couldn't handle it.

At 32g, your snake could handle even larger fuzzies. No offense, but I'm guessing that your lack of experience may prompt you to believe that he can't handle it. Defer to my experience in this matter-- he CAN. :)

I don't think you're interpreting what I wrote correctly. I wrote:

This relates more to the frequency of feedings than the prey size. But even where it relates to prey size, it doesn't mean that your snake can't handle the size I recommend. A snake may refuse the recommended size for some reason, but that doesn't mean it couldn't handle it.

At 32g, your snake could handle even larger fuzzies. No offense, but I'm guessing that your lack of experience may prompt you to believe that he can't handle it. Defer to my experience in this matter-- he CAN. :)

Are you serious? I looked at the fuzzies at my local store and thought they were way too big. I'll tell you what. I have about 6 pinkies left in my freezer, and I'm feeding them in pairs, so In about 3 or 4 weeks i'll be ready for more mice. I'll get some fuzzies, and try with them.

But thank you for telling me :)

Yeah, a 32g snake could definitely take fuzzies. Were you possibly looking at rat fuzzies, or maybe they were mislabeled?

As for the OP, I agree with the other posts. If your corn is ready for double pinks, just feed it double pinks every 5-7 days rather than one twice a week. I personally feed all my snakes from the day they're born once a week, works great for them and its easy for me to mark Saturdays as feeding day.

Yeah, a 32g snake could definitely take fuzzies. Were you possibly looking at rat fuzzies, or maybe they were mislabeled?

Remember, this is just a local shop. There's a large chance that they were just mis-sized. I asked to see them wondering if my snake could handle them, bt I saw that they were too large. It's a big step from pinkies to fuzzies where I get them.

my 27g corn went from 2x2g pinks to a 6.5g fuzzie with no problem at all. at first the thing looked way to big but i went with the munson plan and my guy ate it just fine.

My normal corn " Isabella" is an 07' so shes 7 months old now. (got her at the M.A.R.S. show last september, she's now on 2 pinks every 5-7 days. She seems very healthy, not to skinny or any thing and probably around 20 inches long. Not sure of weight as I don't have a scale. I was trying to use up the rest but after reading the posts I'm wondering if I should move up a size.

I can see the concern though with the size issue. At my local pet store the next size up seems huge. I'm still new at this but I've read on here before that the prey shouldn't be more then 1 1/2 times the largest part of its body or its head or something like that. (I'd have to go back and read it again to refresh the old memory) Anyways my point is the ones labeled fuzzies at petco where huge compared to what I am feeding now. Probably need to order online to get the right size. Seems petstores aren't good for much if you don't have a cat or dog.LOL

My own local pet store has a VERY good mouse breeding operation set up, but individual employees have no clue what I mean when I ask for mice based on the descriptions I'm used to (e.g., fuzzies, hoppers, weaneds, etc.). I only use this store's mice for the few snakes I own that demand live. I have to pick out the mice myself. That's why I provided weights when I came up with the "Plan". If your store's "weaneds" are another store's "hoppers" then you can adjust accordingly. But you have to have a clue to begin with. That's one of the reasons that even as the author of the "Plan", I don't always think it's as useful as common sense or the "1.5x girth guideline" when determining prey size. Novice keepers (like Pat) will be reluctant to believe that their snakes can and should accept prey items of the size that the "Plan" and the "1.5x" guidelines recommend. That's ok. Their snakes won't suffer significantly from being a bit underfed.

Novice keepers (like Pat) will be reluctant to believe that their snakes can and should accept prey items of the size that the "Plan" and the "1.5x" guidelines recommend. That's ok. Their snakes won't suffer significantly from being a bit underfed.

Exactamundo. It's just very hard visualizing your tiny corn eating something that big when you go to buy mice. But I'm going to go ahead and get fuzzies next time, just to see.

I know what you mean pat. My local petsmart has a great selection of Small pinks, pinks, and fuzzies but the next size up is HUGE, like a large mouse :rofl:, that's when I decided to switch to rodent pro.

Hey Pat - my 30g normal is on what I think are medium to large fuzzies at the moment..Whenever I take one out the packet - I always think they are massive but watching him eat - he has no problems..

Back