CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Calling All Lurkers

Old 12-15-2018, 03:36 AM   #21
Hikari
Well, I'm just using aspen cause I know he'll like burrowing in it, and it's a good substrate for that. I never gave much thought into contrasting my substrate with my snakes before though. Guess that would explain why my ball python looks particularly striking in her enclosure. Bright yellow against dark browns, greys, and greens. I use eco earth with her to help humidity though. My corns don't need it, so I don't use it with them.

Although, I think my Anery corn's darker colors look pretty good with aspen's color. He'd just blend in on anything dark, lol. Might not be a bad idea to use a darker substrate for my coral snow hatchling though. I'd be able to find her easier.

I do agree though, aspen does have a habit of getting everywhere. Eco earth can too. It is what it is.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #22
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
Well, I'm just using aspen cause I know he'll like burrowing in it, and it's a good substrate for that. I never gave much thought into contrasting my substrate with my snakes before though. Guess that would explain why my ball python looks particularly striking in her enclosure. Bright yellow against dark browns, greys, and greens. I use eco earth with her to help humidity though. My corns don't need it, so I don't use it with them.

Although, I think my Anery corn's darker colors look pretty good with aspen's color. He'd just blend in on anything dark, lol. Might not be a bad idea to use a darker substrate for my coral snow hatchling though. I'd be able to find her easier.

I do agree though, aspen does have a habit of getting everywhere. Eco earth can too. It is what it is.

Beech chippings for darker snakes . They're tiny chips ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
Zincubus
Quote:

. Might not be a bad idea to use a darker substrate for my coral snow hatchling though. I'd be able to find her easier.

:

Ta da ... there she is

Old 12-16-2018, 04:01 AM   #24
Hikari
So, I can't seem to find anywhere that'll sell beech chips in the US, so that option's out. Orchid bark is expensive for the amount you get. I'll just stick with aspen. The snakes like it, I can tolerate it, so it's all good.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #25
Zincubus
Quote:
So, I can't seem to find anywhere that'll sell beech chips in the US, so that option's out. Orchid bark is expensive for the amount you get. I'll just stick with aspen. The snakes like it, I can tolerate it, so it's all good.

Orchid bark is cheap on eBay if you get a big bag ..

It can also be cleaned and re-used if you are prepared to spend the time and energy..

Old 12-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #26
Zincubus
Try eBay or Amazon for Beech chippings

Old 12-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #27
GeneticsWizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
The forum is really dragging lately, very few posts and very little in the way of discussion. Rich monitors the activity, and if the forum no longer meets the needs of the corn snake community, it will disappear...
I've been involved with snake keeping for more decades than I care to say. After a break due to life circumstances, I'm getting more involved again, and I registered here just today because the website where I posted 20 years ago seems to have really gone downhill, to say the least.

I hope that doesn't happen here!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #28
chris68
Social media is the "thing" these days...Where there was a just a couple different corn snake forums when this one was jumping now there are dozens of FB pages just dedicated to corn snakes, let alone boas, ball pythons, retics etc. I'm trying to check in more, I just don't have much going on with corn snakes.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #29
chris68
And welcome back GW

Old 12-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #30
GeneticsWizard
Thanks for the welcome and the explanation, Chris!

I'm still a hold-out and don't have a FB page.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google