CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Questions about Female Corn with Infertile Eggs

Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 PM   #1
CopperCorn
Questions about Female Corn with Infertile Eggs

Hello, I'm very new on here. I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this thread, but seeing as this is egg-related I'm putting it here.
My newly-discovered-female corn, Copper, just laid about 8 eggs today and has a slight bulge that looks like she may have one or two more to go. I had no clue she was even a female until today (had "him" for 8 years and just trusted the breeders word), so I'm trying to absorb as much information about her new eggs as possible.
Firstly, should I be worried about her getting egg-bound? What are the signs that she has one stuck? We have her scheduled for a vet appointment this Saturday no matter what, just as a follow-up to this event. But if she does get egg-bound, should I look for a vet she can see sooner than this weekend?
Next, I have no clue if her eggs look the way they should. All but one are yellow, ovular, and very firm. There is one that is white, slightly less firm (partially caved in), and when I candled it, seemed to show one or two very small veins, so from my little knowledge I don't think it's fertile.
But since there are two different "types" of eggs she laid I'm wondering if it's just that the one white one was partially fertile/developed and the others are just completely infertile or if the white egg is what all of them should look like and the others are bad signs of a health issue. Here's a picture of the yellow eggs, and the white egg next to the yellow ones.
Name:  IMG_3389.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  347.5 KB
Name:  IMG_3393.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  272.1 KB
They're in her normal substrate because I didn't expect her to lay at all since we believed she was a male. I've provided her a hide with peat-sphagnam moss bedding but she hasn't left her "den" (one of her small rock hides) where she's laid the rest of them.
She's also already blue and near her post-egg shed which I thought was supposed to happen a week or two after the eggs. Is this bad or am I being overly paranoid?
I've got lots of questions about my thought-to-be male snake who laid eggs. I never researched the females much since I thought I had a boy! Any help is appreciated, I'm just trying to be sure her first egg-laying goes smoothly for her and that she doesn't get egg bound or have any other issues. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 AM   #2
Dennis Gulla
The most important question here is, has this snake ever been introduced or housed with another snake? Is so, that’s a completely different discussion and you may have some fertile eggs. If you know for a fact that she hasn’t, than all of the eggs are infertile. I’ve owned birds as well. It’s not uncommon for adult birds to lay eggs even though they have never been exposed to a male.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
CopperCorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Gulla View Post
The most important question here is, has this snake ever been introduced or housed with another snake? Is so, that’s a completely different discussion and you may have some fertile eggs. If you know for a fact that she hasn’t, than all of the eggs are infertile. I’ve owned birds as well. It’s not uncommon for adult birds to lay eggs even though they have never been exposed to a male.
She's never been with any other snakes with us, and I doubt she was with any before when she was under a year old. So I don't think any eggs could be fertile.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google