CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Progression: Shadow the Eastern Indigo Snake

Old 09-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #21
Karl_Mcknight
Indigos are beautiful and they seem to make nice pets too. I've seen some specimens at 7 to 8 feet long. They get a bit bigger than corn snakes, but are usually just as friendly. He/She is gorgeous.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #22
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
DollysMom, Shadow is amazing! He does have an intense gaze, doesn't he. He is so lucky to have you. His home is comfy looking. And is that HIS egg and baby sheds? How did you EVER keep this a secret? You have to update your signature now!
Thank you DLena! I think of Shadow as my dude with a 'tude (or perhaps dudess, lol).

I actually went with paper towel substrate after misunderstanding the breeder's initial instructions over the phone. Sphagnum was the substrate for the neonate set up. He had them on newsapaper at this point. I got that fixed Monday night. Tuesday, I went to pick Shadow up and the driftwood that the breeder had mentioned was cork as well, so I'm good there. I love cork hides. I'm adding a humid hide after we give Shadow a few days undisturbed. In the meantime, I'm keeping the humidity up to where it should be by covering part of the screen top. The breeder had them in plastic sweater boxes with air holes. Those inherently hold humidity better than a Critter Cage.

Keeping the secret was only possible because there were so many things that could go wrong from there to here and I didn't want to jinx it. I had expressed my eastern indigo history, passion, and desire to the breeder before his sire and dam even had gotten together (so to speak, lol). Then we waited until April for the eggs. Then we waited for July for the babies to hatch. Even then there are things that can happen. I had my family and my vet in on it so I did have some relief from secret keeping, lol.

The breeder has been incredibly kind and helpful. The day I was supposed to call to arrange pick-up, was the day I was really ill. I called to say I was ill, and getting it checked out. The breeder told me just to get well and that my snake would be there for me. What a relief that was!

That is indeed Shadow's egg, first, and second shed. I was floored that they had been saved for me.

OMG, you are right. I do have to update my sig. I had totally forgotten!

Thanks again for sharing this joy with me. We've been through a few ups and serious downs together here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Indigos are beautiful and they seem to make nice pets too. I've seen some specimens at 7 to 8 feet long. They get a bit bigger than corn snakes, but are usually just as friendly. He/She is gorgeous.
Karl, thank you. Your kind words about Shadow mean a lot to me. I really admire your snake knowledge, experience, and your relationship with Rufus. I don't often say that, but I hope it shows. (and I still need to spread more rep before it lets me give you more here).

Shadow's sire is a big strong boy though I didn't get a length on him. It's okay with me if Shadow stays under 7 ft, but s/he will be whatever size, lol. They indeed are considered gentle giants to their human owners.

Speaking of corn snakes, I now own the three species of snakes (corn snake, house snake, eastern indigo) that have particular, special meaning to me. It almost feels like it was accidental, but I know it was not.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #23
djc3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Ty. I so appreciate your kind comments! Do you own one or another of the Drys?

He was one of the larger hatchlings in the clutch. I got to see all 8 of them and got my pick. That was amazing as well. I'm still totally pinching myself.

I did want a baby with some attitude. He definitely has an intent gaze. It's amazing how such young snakes clearly display their personalities. A D. couperi with attitude all the way!

We made it fine through the first night. After spending the day stretched between hides he's curled up under the cool hide this morning. These snakes are kept cooler than most. His warm hide is 79 and his cool hide is 71.
No, I don't own a Drys. 2 lovely corns, 2 transpecos rats and 3 bull snakes. Shadow reminds me a bit of the bulls, similar in their stern focus.

All with distinct personalities.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #24
DollysMom
Thanks djc3. You have an awesome collection.

Bulls are native here and I've seen them in the wild. Magnificent animals.

I hear you on the distinct personalities. Absolutely!

Old 09-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #25
Magdalen
Wow he is stunning! Have fun with him

Old 09-07-2017, 10:42 PM   #26
DollysMom
Thank you, Magdalen. Right now he's being a baby snake. Of course, that means he is sleeping under a log. Not too exciting right now but I'm sure there is much fun to come.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #27
Patmart
I agree George bit me but it was my fault
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #28
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmart View Post
I agree George bit me but it was my fault
Pat
I think it's a good attitude to have towards our snakes. They bite for two reasons, fear or feeding response, neither of which is their fault.

This also gives me a good excuse to give a little update on Shadow. He pooped last night. It is always good to know that all snake systems are working. It was also wet which is typical of the species and also lets me know he's drinking. I took his weight while cleaning his enclosure and he was only one gram lighter which also tells me he's drinking. They are more sensitive to dehydration and though I always have a dish of clean water for him, I have yet to see him drink. So this was very, very good.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #29
Patmart
George is good at that on me
Bless him
Pat x

Old 09-11-2017, 01:33 PM   #30
Patmart
I love watching them drink
Clean house fresh water daily and food every week
And plenty of love
Pat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google