CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

ESCAPEE or HIDE LOG HORRORS?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #41
Draekaar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkeeteeMom View Post
The opening IS there...trust us. You won't be able to see or feel it. Just cut that part off and your snake can still use it.
Well... i looked around the log and i found the spot, or at least the only spot big enough that she can get it... it's sharp-edged too... So i stuffed a tissue in there. I don't think i'll be having any issues in future

Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #42
Nanci
That is not a fool-proof solution!!! Just saw the end off- then you never have to worry about it again. They still love the hide after surgery.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #43
BloodyBaroness
Agreed, nip the end off and give it a little sanding and it becomes the perfect little corn fort.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #44
Outcast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
Agreed, nip the end off and give it a little sanding and it becomes the perfect little corn fort.
Don't forget to add the auto targeting Gatling Laser Turrets, to fend off those pesky live mice!

Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #45
Draekaar
even if wanted to chop off the end (which i don't, it'll look... odd... and i paid good money for it!), i don't have a saw. i was planning of getting something more permanent, like air dry clay and shoving it in there instead later on. i honestly do not believe she will be able to get into any hole if i have it blocked.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #46
kshannon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekaar View Post
even if wanted to chop off the end (which i don't, it'll look... odd... and i paid good money for it!), i don't have a saw. i was planning of getting something more permanent, like air dry clay and shoving it in there instead later on. i honestly do not believe she will be able to get into any hole if i have it blocked.
Well we all paid good money for it and then had the heart attack when we couldn't find our babies.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #47
CULEBRA85
Hey Tina!!! i missed this post at the beginning but im glad u found ur little one, we sell that hide at the petstore i manage and i always warn ppl about that hole. Im glad all is well tho!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 04:02 AM   #48
SquamishSerpents
i got this ornament here on a discount when i worked at the pet store. LOVED IT and as soon as i got it home i put it in Milly's tank.

i was a bit hasty, and i guess i didn't inspect it very well. i thought it was solid for some silly reason. well one day, i find that my amel has decided to turn it UPSIDE DOWN and crawl inside. she had about the first 4 inches of her head & neck in. and she was really, really stuck. it took much mineral oil and a bit of gentle pulling to get her out. she had a nasty "scar" for quite awhile. it has almost 100% shed out, but i can still see it. you wouldn't be able to if you didn't know it happened, but it's there.

my other experience with evil ornaments is this one:

i had a pastel ball python get stuck FULLY INSIDE this ornament! i went in the room one day and saw her head poking out of the hole in the front, above where the mouth opens. i FREAKED!!!!!! i thought she was waaaaaaaay too big, and that there was no way she would fit in there, so why would she try and go in there?

WRONG. snakes don't know how big they are, lol.

luckily, she came out fine. i didn't even have to cut it open or anything. she wasn't completely stuck.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #49
srhone
First Escape....

I just got home from work a couple of hours ago, and went to get my snake out for some hang out time. I looked under her favorite hide, her coconut shell, and she was not there. No big deal, I looked in her new hide I just got her yesterday, no luck, third hide...nothing...trying not to freak out, I thought "she's probably under the water bowl...nope. By this time I had all of her hides and her bowl out, so I sifted through all of her aspen. Notta. I just changed her bedding and put in a new hide last night, so I know she can't have been gone for too long, but I am also highly worried because I have a dog and a cat at my house. (I am more worried about the cat, the dog would probably be afraid of the snake.) Then I found this post, and realized that I have the SAME hide that everyone was having to saw apart to get their snake out. Sooooooo, now I am waiting on my husband to get home in half an hour to help me try to take apart this hide. I am really, really hoping she is in there! I have clamps on the cage, and I have had her for almost two months without an escape, and she is still pretty small, so I don't *think* she could push the lid up with the clamps on. I am now reconsidering the clamps in favor of a slide on lid however....anyway...this is my first post here but have been reading for a while when I was thinking about getting my snake. I am so worried about her. Will let you know what I find out....I left the hide sitting on my bed for a few mins (before I saw the post about this hide), but I don't think she would have gotten out in that amount of time if she is in the hollowed part like the other snakes were.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #50
srhone
I found her! I went to saw at the log (that I had previously taken out and gently shook around to see if she came out), and I guess when she felt the vibrations it made her panic a little bit bc she shot out of there! YAYYYY!!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escape, escaped, escapee