CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Is it normal to be nervous before getting your first corn snake?

Old 10-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
Niclou
Is it normal to be nervous before getting your first corn snake?

Hello everyone! So after doing a bunch of research on corn snakes (Proper husbandry, feeding, health issues, handling, ect.) I managed to convince my mother to let me get one! So we went down to a reptile specialty shop that's about thirty minutes away to go look at some. They clearly take good care of their reptiles there, and they breed 90% of the reptiles that they have. I handled a few of the corns they had and fell in love with this little anery. She was super calm and just sorta curled up around my finger haha.

But anyways sorry to ramble on, most of you probably didn't need to hear that, but my question was that if its normal to feel nervous before getting a your first corn snake? If i'm lucky I should hopefully be getting her before the end of the month and despite knowing that I can provide her proper care i'm still super nervous about it.

Again sorry for rambling on so much and wasting your time like that, I probably could have just condensed all that into one sentence haha.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
daddio207

I don't know about nervous. First or four hundredth, it's always exciting !

Old 10-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #3
trudruid
Welcome Niclou! This is definitely the place to be! I got my corns the last of July, and yes it's normal (for me, anyway) to be nervous. You've said you've done your research so I'm sure everything will be great. Just remember, any questions you have, the people here are extremely helpful. Good Luck and Enjoy!!

Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 AM   #4
Niclou
Thank for the reply, its good to hear its not just me! And I will surely be consulting the forums with anymore questions that I have about my future snake!

Old 10-04-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
axis1
Hi there Niclou, how ya been?

I don't know about being nervous over snakes, because I'm high-strung at just about EVERYTHING!! But it's probably a positive form of anxiety, which can be healthy, as opposed to feeling like a hooker in a cathedral or a nun in a cucumber patch, for that matter!

As long as you ACT calm while handling (snakes are perceptive!), it's probably fine! However, even if you are the nervous type, you're in the right place, because you can ask any questions here without feeling stupid and you can RESPOND as opposed to REACT to any challenges you might have.

Good luck with your new little sneaky one!!! Hope to see ya around!!!

Old 10-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
DollysMom
I've been nervous over the commitment I was making to a little animal. The first day with a new snake is the great unknown, and after the first day that subsides. After the first week, it's nearly forgotten. After the first month, I wonder what I was concerned about.

To me what you are feeling is perfectly normal when making a big and serious commitment. I think it means that you are super-conscientious. I think it means you will do a superb job with your snake because you are taking it seriously!

Best wishes, Niclou.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
Niclou
It's not a fear of the actual snake itself, but more the fear that I won't take care of it properly. I'm a pretty forgetful person,(sometimes I even forget to wash my hair when I shower) thankfully corn snakes are pretty hardy though so if I forget to change its water one day it should be fine.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
DollysMom
Hi again Niclou.

Some of us use logs and calendars. I wash the water dishes and change the water every other day. I use the task list on my phone to keep track. (And do check them daily in case of poop in the water) I use an app called SnakeKeeper that puts feedings right on my calendar. I also use a web site called iHerp.com to keep track of things.

Anything that will beep or buzz at me to remind me of needed snake tasks is a good thing. If you forget a feeding by a day or two it is no huge deal. I was gone this weekend and had to push a feeding back by two days. There is no problem with that. Snakes in nature don't eat on a regular schedule.

It is still a good thing to keep track and when you do, to miss feedings knowingly, not by forgetting your snake. You probably won't forget, but use an old fashioned log book, calendar, or modern technology to keep track. Most of us log weights, lengths, feedings and sheds. Some also log poops, but I don't find it useful unless your snake has difficulty in that area.

Best wishes. Write it down, keep track, and you will be fine.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #9
Fletcher
Hi Niclou!

I wanted to chime in about forgetting things. I also tend towards forgetfulness, and I set up a whiteboard next to Phoenix's viv where I write down when he last ate, when he'll eat next, when I last cleaned his cage, etc. I don't have everything up there, and I have a spreadsheet I use to log everything whether or not it's up on the board, but having a reminder for the scheduled things right next to him helps!

Old 10-26-2016, 05:06 PM   #10
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niclou View Post
Hello everyone! So after doing a bunch of research on corn snakes (Proper husbandry, feeding, health issues, handling, ect.) I managed to convince my mother to let me get one! So we went down to a reptile specialty shop that's about thirty minutes away to go look at some. They clearly take good care of their reptiles there, and they breed 90% of the reptiles that they have. I handled a few of the corns they had and fell in love with this little anery. She was super calm and just sorta curled up around my finger haha.

But anyways sorry to ramble on, most of you probably didn't need to hear that, but my question was that if its normal to feel nervous before getting a your first corn snake? If i'm lucky I should hopefully be getting her before the end of the month and despite knowing that I can provide her proper care i'm still super nervous about it.

Again sorry for rambling on so much and wasting your time like that, I probably could have just condensed all that into one sentence haha.

I realign wouldn't worry too much . Sounds like you've done your homework plus any queries / issues can be aired in this forum or another or even by googling .

Being the anxious type myself I found keeping snakes took my mind off other worries ..... it can turn into an obsession though -// I'm currently on 20 with a new one coming next week ....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google