CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Is filtered tap water safe for a corn snake?

Old 10-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
Niclou
Is filtered tap water safe for a corn snake?

Hi all! So I have a question about tap water. I'll be getting my first corn snake in about 2 weeks from now and my mother insists that our tap water doesn't have any chlorine in it, but i'm not so sure.

I know that chlorine is put into water to kill harmful bacteria and things like that; and I also know that filters take out a bit of that chlorine, but how much chlorine do they really take out?

We have RainSoft water systems I think. So how much chlorine do filters like that usually take out and how much chlorine can a snake ingest without any harm being done to it?

Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
BLKfly
If it's good enough for you to drink, then its good enough for them to drink. Filtered water is cleaner water and naturally its going to be better. If you have good tap water it shouldn't be a problem. Personally I use filtered, but I also only drink filtered water.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
DollysMom
I use a Brita pitcher for me and my snakes. Removing chlorine is a good thing.

Be careful of softened water. Even a filter may not remove the softening salts.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
born2slither
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKfly View Post
If it's good enough for you to drink, then its good enough for them to drink. Filtered water is cleaner water and naturally its going to be better. If you have good tap water it shouldn't be a problem. Personally I use filtered, but I also only drink filtered water.
I agree. Unfortunately, tap water is not good enough for me to drink, I only drink water that has an extremely low TDS rating, mostly aquafina. So my snake is given aquafina in his water bowl.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
born2slither
I just realized that I should be getting RO water from Walmart, something like 35cents a gallon which is lower TDS than Poland spring. He should be fine with that.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
axis1
Personally, I think we have all gotten a little spoiled by this trend of bottled water over the past couple of decades. I grew up on NYC tap water and have continued to drink it whenever I'm home (I also admit to being spoiled and use bottled water for the convenience and also to stay hydrated). I have used unfiltered tap water with all of my little sneaky ones for as long as I've had snakes and none of them have ever had any illnesses or adverse affects that have appeared to be related to the quality of NYC tap water. The only time I misted with Poland Spring bottle water was when sometimes spraying the expectant eggs from one of Lilly's recent clutches when they were somewhat dryer than they ought to be, a phenomenon that has been corrected by the use of sphagnum peat moss inside a container with fewer and smaller holes in it. Ozzy, who is just about 14 months old and almost 200 grams at 2.5' didn't even have THAT luxury as HIS egg was misted with tap water, since I didn't even THINK of that when he was incubating and he appears to be THRIVING!

In any case, this is only my solitary and somewhat humble opinion.

Just sayin'.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2slither View Post
I just realized that I should be getting RO water from Walmart, something like 35cents a gallon which is lower TDS than Poland spring. He should be fine with that.
No. get the spring water. They actually need some minerals in their water.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #8
JTGoff69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I use a Brita pitcher for me and my snakes. Removing chlorine is a good thing.

Be careful of softened water. Even a filter may not remove the softening salts.
I live in S FL. I can smell chlorine coming out of the tap. I'm going to use bottled water not only for my snake, but myself.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #9
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGoff69 View Post
I live in S FL. I can smell chlorine coming out of the tap. I'm going to use bottled water not only for my snake, but myself.
That works. Just make sure it is drinking water, not distilled or RO.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #10
born2slither
I heard that corn snakes get everything they need from mice. What minerals do they need from water?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google