CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

So a young garter snake decided to move in...

Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
Dragonling
Contributing members get an edit button. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/payments.php

It was hard to tell from that particular photo, and there is such incredible variation within sirtalis. I was going by the apparent boldness of the lateral stripes.

It's a little too cold to release a garter in unfamiliar territory, since he may have a difficult time finding an appropriate hibernaculum, so we're keeping our house guest for the time being, with a permit of course. Unfortunately he will not be eligible for release after 30 days in captivity, and I cannot legally sell, trade, or gift him away. I could potentially donate him to a public wildlife center though, so I'm going to first talk to Ohio DNR about legal stuff and then hopefully see if any of the local museums or nature centers would like to add him to their collections.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
LMS68
Lol, yeah I figured that after the 3rd edit post.

It looks exactly like the in the link I posted. Difficult to take a good photo, it's so tiny & I don't have the right lens.

They are so common here, I see them all the time. But I was surprised to see a baby at this time of the year. I mean, we don't have any tadpoles or feeder fish small enough around now (we have a pond). Maybe slugs & worms but temps went down to -4C last night so...

From what I gather so far, it's not illegal to have one in captivity here. Mind you, not sure how someone would find out (unless someone here tells? ).

Old 10-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #13
LMS68
Booya, another successful feeding! This time on the menu, we served fresh rosy minnow.

A better close up... sort of. You can see it only has half a tail.

And that's a tiny minnow.

Screen capture from video... 10 minutes later after getting a good grab of the meal.

Question: why was it rubbing its mouth on the carpet after it swallowed it a good inch?

Old 10-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #14
DollysMom
Can't answer your question, but he's adorable!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #15
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Can't answer your question, but he's adorable!
DITTO!

Garter, Ribbon, Eastern, Western, regardless of whatever the species, that's definitely a cute looking little sneaky one! Hope it's pest- & disease-free!

Congrats!!!

BTW, when I had a garter snake, he used to LOVE goldfish! (Unsure if they have parasites though, so check out anything you feed him before you do!).

Good luck!!

Old 10-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #16
LMS68
Yes for sure! (re bug fungi free food & pest & disease free snek)

Thanks... yup, it's a snek... a cutie patootie & I'm happy it's eating!

Oh... according to garter snake sites, one recommended to feed 2 minnows in a row? The one I was on, was saying 2 in a week. So I guess it's like when you feed pinkies to corns.

We just got a kick out of watching it go after the fish.

BTW, how long did you have the garter for Axis1?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:41 PM   #17
Dragonling
It's SO CUTE watching how excited they get over fish. Of course my little friend has decided it's too lazy to fish out its own goldfish, so I'm going to have to try tong feeding him later. Meanwhile I'm trying to keep these two feeders alive without water conditioner lol. Hopefully filtered water is at least better than straight tap, and they at least still have some of the water from their tank. If they don't get eaten tomorrow morning they're going back to PetSmart to meet our big grumpy sideneck turtle...

Old 10-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #18
Zincubus
It's probably been mentioned above buy they love earthworms as well !!

Weirdly enough - One of my Garters was having a little roam around and it suddenly launched itself into the dog's bowl and started eating a lump of dog meat ( regular tinned dog food !) ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Old 11-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
LMS68
Yeah, we gave it a little earthworm but I'm not sure if it got eaten.

OMG you should see it go for the fish now... Lol! We plunk it in, it flops around & the little worm just grabs it & gulps it down swiftly. I swear it's all down within one minute. We've done 3 feeds 2 days apart so far with the fish. Based on what we found out, they were saying 2 fish twice a week but it's so itty bitty, how can it fit 2 fish in one feeding?

It's still not afraid of us, which I find odd. He/she is looking good though.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #20
Dragonling
My little house guest showed zero interest in the fish, even when offered on tongs, but he went crazy for a tuna-scented hairless mouse. Good thing he was big enough to eat a weanling, cuz I only have furry versions of the smaller sizes. I'm thinking either it's a large adult male or a young female.

They seem to have fast metabolisms, and I think fish digest faster than mice. Most garter keepers feed quite a bit more often than corns, but I suppose they eat smaller meals on average. I always fed the teeny baby checkered garters at my previous job one or two small rosies twice a week.

Ours is pretty fearless too, and will strike at just about anything it sees moving. Probably how it looks so well-fed! It probably ate anything that moved!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google