• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Bad Shed!

Solaris16

Hi Everyone,
I have been waiting and waiting for my 10 month old normal, Sunny, to shed his skin. Last night I was up watching him, he was so close to shedding but I kept falling asleep so I had to go to bed. This morning I got up and found that he had had his first bad shed ever. I've been doing everything right, bathing him daily, misting him several times daily and providing him with a wet hide box. I asked Mom to mist him during the day while I was at school, but she forgot. I misted him before I went to school each morning while he was in shed, when I got home, as well as several more times between then and when I went to bed. The lowest the humidity got during the day was 43%. This is the only reason I can see for the bad shed. It came of him 3 pieces, the top of his head and neck, the bottom of his head and neck, as well as the rest of his body. He retained a the tip of his tail as well as a few other teeny spots on his body. I got those off quickly by letting him slid through a wet cloth. Is the only reason for this the drop in humidty during the day? I posted pictures of him freshly shed under the "Pictures" forum. Thanks! Wendy :)

Dry weather in the Maritimes?

I'm not sure if weather has anything to do with it, but my normal just had a bad shed as well. I misted (a lot) at least 8 times a day for a week and a half, gave baths and the works! Must be the time of year (although we've had nothing but rain!)

Patty
a fellow Maritimer with no answers but more questions!

I just had a bad shed too, or I should say my snake did. I'm in central NY (Finger Lakes region). Last month's shed was perfect, I don't know what was different this time. Unless maybe he felt like lounging around in his water bowl so much more last time that it made a huge difference... This shed was in lots of pieces, but he did get it all off, so I guess it's okay.

finger lakes weather update...

kate,
the late winter weather over the last month or so dropped our humidity quite a bit. (colder air holds less moisture) hopefully we've seen the end of that for now. (rainy and warm now 40 miles north of you) good luck with the snake. :) ---jim

Whenever you see their in a shed just give em a bath two or three times during their shed cycle. This will generally eliminate any bad sheds.

One of my snakes just had a bad shed too, and i dont remember that ever happening with my corns. The shed came off in short strips instead of like normal. As far as i know, all variables have remained the same. ANy suggestions?

My ghost female's recent shed came apart in a few pieces even after I put her in a pillowcase with a coarse wet towel for about 15 minutes. New Orleans is extremely humid, so I don't think the relative humidity has a lot to do with it.

Back