CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

King Snake Question...

Old 03-25-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
CornCrazy
King Snake Question...

I was wondering how common it is for king snakes to double clutch. My king snake laid her eggs on March 10th. Since then, she has been eating like she can't get enough food. Anyway, she still hasn't had a post-laying shed. She is swelling up like she is ovulating again. I was wondering if this is common in kings...

I am tempted to put her in with my male to see if she is receptive to him again...

Old 03-25-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
CornCrazy
Well, since I haven't gotten any answers yet, I decided to see what happened when I put them together. Within 5 minutes they were "hooked up." I suppose that means she was ovulating again or she probably would not have let him breed her.

I guess if she was going to double clutch anyway...the eggs might as well be fertile.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
oreo
kings

Cav,

I have had two of my cal king females triple clutch. They are huge females over five feet each. They dont do it on a regular basis but it has happened. I wouldnt sweat the no shed part to much. A few of my females mate right after coming up from brumation. some on the otherhand are a pain in the ass and wont for like a month to six weeks. It actually pisses me off cause I cant get every one to lay at the same time. so I am constantly trying to play catch up.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:07 AM   #4
CornCrazy
I have just found that almost everything my corns do on a regular basis...my kings do whenever they want My kings are MUCH more unpredictable about everything. One day they won't eat F/T, the next they won't eat live, etc. The female in question is a good example of that. She has never been good with eating F/T. I used to get her to eat it for a while, though. She all of a sudden stopped eating them. I let her go for several months before I finally tried live. She ate and would not take any more F/T...until after she laid her eggs earluer this month. Right now, I think she would eat anything she cold get hold of. I have been feeding F/T exclusively. I wonder if she will insist on live again after her breeding season is over???

Thanks for the response, oreo. By the way, what is Albuquerque like? I was born there but was too little when we moved to remember anything about it. A vacation to there is on my list of things to do in the next couple of years or so. I actually have relatives there still...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google