CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Silly question about "putting" corns together

Old 03-29-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
Sheri
Smile Silly question about "putting" corns together

I know the issue of the keeping corns together has been raised MANY times, and I never intend to do it. BUT I see a lot of pictures where corns are together, so when do you do this? Just for the photo? Can they hang out for awhile so long as they're not left unattended for too long? I'm just curious as to when it's okay to have them together and for how long, and should they be similar size to do that? When I get another one,,,would it be a bad idea to put them together for photos if they're different sizes and sexes? Or is it okay for a while?

Thanks guys.

Sheri =o)

Old 03-29-2002, 11:19 AM   #2
Rich Z
Sheri - you should be able to edit your own messages. I believe I enabled that option for all of the forums here. There should be a little button in the box that contains the message that says "Edit". Just click on that and you can make whatever changes you want. You can also delete your add-on message afterwards.

Old 03-29-2002, 11:23 AM   #3
Sheri
Thanks Rich! Wow, I even looked for that option. Message is all cleaned up now,,,,thanks again. This site could not be any better!

Sheri =o)

Old 03-29-2002, 01:20 PM   #4
Iris
Well I know someone who keeps one male and one female together and they're roughly the same size (the female is a few inches smaller) and they've been living like that for..3 or 4 years. No problems yet. Of course they're fed separately. As long as you keep an eye on the snakes you temporarily put together (for photographs, etc), it should be fine. I think really small snakes get stressed out by much larger snakes if they are put together but I'm not sure.

Old 03-29-2002, 10:26 PM   #5
CornsnakeKeeper
If you're scared, then just keep an eye on them. Nothing really bad could happen with you supervising. Yes, I have saw pictures of cannibalism, but I have kept 1.1.1 '00 snakes together since they were babies without any sign of trouble. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2002, 11:11 PM   #6
Kevin M
Hate to sound like a cliche here but there normally is never sign of trouble untill after it rears its head.

Back in the day I used to house my corns in pairs. No more.

Ive experienced cannabalism & females breeding way, way too early because I couldnt regulate it...

House them as you see fit, But if it can happen, it normally will.

-Kev

Old 03-30-2002, 03:57 AM   #7
Simon
Agreeing with Kelvin M.....

Well I personally wouldn't want to risk anything like that either....so I never keep my snakes together. But as for a photo, I wouldn't think that keeping them together in the same enclosure for a while could hurt them. Just make sure that you keep a close eye on them. But then if it's a male and female, I would worry a bit more since breeding COULD occure. If the female is too small or not 'ready' to be breed yet, this might endanger her life...... because of egg bound. Breeding could occure in less than 5 min...... so keep a close eye at the snakes.

Good luck and Happy Herping!

Old 03-30-2002, 08:34 AM   #8
Kevin M
Supervised you can keep as many corns together as you can handle IMO. I often have a few corns together when I'm snapping photo's or under rare circumstances when I have help cleaning my enclosures and I put a few males together while I clean them...

-Kev

Old 04-02-2002, 01:09 PM   #9
B-J@y
I am a newbie at keeping Corn's I have 4 snakes together in a cage.... it is 1.20m x 0.40m x 0.60m!

I think this will couse some problems! I've bought these snakes from a friend! she kept them together i the same cage with a nother copple of Corn's (all about 70 cm long) and 1 big ....rat snake! (i believe yellow rat snake!!)

She convinsed me that there is no problem for the snakes!!! Now i'm beginning to doubt her!! (i don't believe she willingly deseaved (spelling?) me)

Pls tell me there is no problem!

Just slithering on......
B-J@y

Old 04-02-2002, 01:49 PM   #10
absolutneil
what i do....

I know people don't agree but I keep a couple of snakes together from time to time.

I follow these guidelines.

Don't put males together because they tend to spar w/ one another.

Don't put a male and a female together if you are not ready for them to breed.

That leaves us with two females. This is the only situation where I would allow two females to be together.

Of course they should be the same size.

If a snake regurgitates or has trouble feeding then it is probably stressed and should be housed seperately. I have been keeping corns for about five years and have never had any problems.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google