• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Collecting wild Corns in NC?

i've just gotten into corns within the past few months, so as of recent stories, i have none. I will after this summer for sure.

I used to catch snakes and pretty much anything that crawled or would scare my mom when i was a lil boy. At one point they acutally told me "if it's black, then it's a moccasin. If it's lighter brown, then it's a copperhead". They did this for my own protection b/c we have plenty of both here in NC. As i grew older i think i eventually caught a couple Black Rat Snakes, a lot of lil green snakes, and a tiny lil ringneck.

I live on a farm in Bladen County, NC surrounded by the State Forest. I have caught many corns and use two of them in my breeding program. The large male displays bright color for a few days after a shed and then he turns darker (as described by So Pirate55). He is in brumation right now, but if you like I will post a picture of him at a later date.

As for finding them in the wild, my suggestion is to look for mice or mice droppings from April thru June. Corns will go to the mice. Then check the area in the mornings (before the dew dries) and again just before dark. That is when the corns are looking for mice. I have better luck in the morning.

Good Hunting!

PS I have also caught black racers, mud snakes, king snakes, and one juvenile timber rattler on my farm. I have yet to see a copper head, eastern diamond back, or water moccasin on this farm, but I have seen copper heads in surrounded forrest.

Thanks for the tips and insight Santa...I will definately keep those in mind as I try to plan an early spring hunt.

Lee

As promised I have included a pic of my NC wild caught male corn. He is nearly 5 five long, very bulky and very strong. This pic was taken just a few days after a shed so his colors are at their most brilliant. He will darken in about a week or so. I will take another pic at that time to show you.

Attachments

• wc male corn .jpg
    wc male corn .jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 63
I just caught this snake yesterday. It appears to be a young female (I will probe it later). It is a little thin and has a stub tail but nice colors.

Attachments

• wc corn.jpg
    wc corn.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 63
Back