CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Hand taming?

Old 06-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
CornSnake Fever
Hand taming?

Hello everyone,
How often a day must you hold your snake ? I love my snake but I sometimes I don't handle her as much as I think I should. I just don't want her to be mean and afraid of my husband and I. I love her so much she my first Snake .
Thanks, Ellie's proud mom.

Old 06-14-2002, 05:38 PM   #2
Simon
If your snake is new, then you shouldn't be handling it for a couple of days so that it can calm down a bit. Also after eating, you wouldn't want to hand it too. I'd say at least 48 hours, some people would say 24 is alright....but I have seen them regurgitate after 24......

If it's new and that you are now allowed to handle it (after those days that you are not to handle them mentioned above) then handling them for 5 min the first few times. Once it doesn't look or react as odd to you, then you can increase the time to 10 min and so on. If it 'runs' or 'jumps' away from you, then it's still properly still not very used to your handling. I can now let mine out for more than 2 hours without having any trouble.....but still there are a few that doesn't like me touching them (a yearling that hasn't been handled much).

Anyway, hope this helped.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Old 06-14-2002, 07:38 PM   #3
Jayde

Tell you the truth I only really hand Ruby a few times a week, cus normally she'd either have food in her stomach that needs to be digested or she's due to go the the loo and she'll crap on the carpet or something if she is out. But when she is she really enjoys it and doesn't want to got back into the vivarium.

But I rarely handle Lord Daimond because he was a rescue snake and isn't used to handling, hell he wasn't even used to eating!! So he gets uncomortable and aggressive when handled. He doesn't bite but he makes fast, scared movements. He's just content to have Ruby and regular food. So I leave it as that.

It depends if your snake is adventurous, if it's like Ruby, it'll be snorting down your ears, resting on sunglasses, tangeling in your hair, climbing in and out of your shirts and so on.

But if you did just buy your snake, you should really give it a week or so to settle down but feed it, and watch it.

Old 06-15-2002, 05:12 AM   #4
Colleen
Just two cents I picked up here, but you can put an unwashed clothing item on the cage so the snake gets used to your smell.

Hope that helps!!

Colleen

Old 06-15-2002, 10:35 AM   #5
CornSnake Fever
Thank you Colleen I will try that . Thats the same thing you do with a puppy or a kitten. That a neat idea I will try it.
Thanks,
Ellie's Proud Mom

Old 06-19-2002, 11:33 AM   #6
Simon
LOL,
thats a good one!

I would think that my snake would pass out rather quickly then!

Old 06-20-2002, 12:44 PM   #7
CornSnake Fever
I put an old t- Shirt on top of the cage and I think it is working . For the last four days Ellie has been a little more relaxed with me when I go to pick her up . Thank you Colleen it was a good tip .

Ellie's Proud Mom

Old 06-21-2002, 08:24 AM   #8
Colleen
Smile Glad it helped!!

Do you have a pic of her to post? Love to see everybodies BABIES!!!

Colleen

PS Just today I found out something Very interesting about our girl. We always wash our hands before picking her up, and only having her 4 weeks now, we have been using the same frageranced soap. Well it ran out in the one bath so I put out a new and diff. smelling one. SHE actually struck at me when I put my hand in the cage!!! The same girl that usually comes out of her hide to play on my fingers!! At first I thought she must be sick or something then I remembered the new soap! Went to other bath rewashed with old soap and tried again. She came right out and onto my hand!! So I guess I can't just buy whats on sale anymore!!!LOL Something to think about when your trying to get them used to you, they go by smell and apparently she thinks I smell like wild flowers!!

Old 06-21-2002, 10:38 AM   #9
SilverTongue
That is actually kinda sweet. Unless she never gets past that!? hehe what happens if that brand of soap is not in production anymore LoL

Old 06-22-2002, 03:32 AM   #10
jim
sleeping with the light on....

BIG, HUGE, MOVING, SCARY WILDFLOWERS GRABBING AT ME..... AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! i'm gonna have nightmares tonight... ...jim