CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

biting

Old 11-22-2002, 06:14 AM   #1
tribal
biting

hi, i just bought myself a hatcling corn. i got it yesterday and tried alittle handling. it was ery nervous so i put it back in the viv. when i came home from work today i tried again and it bit me. this caught me by susrprise as i had had a corn in the past and it had never bitten me. having remembered reading that if it btes u not to put it back straight awya as it might associate biting with gettins its own way i kept a hold of it but i bit me again.

any1 got any sorta advice for me? i have read to leave it for 4 or 5 days is this the right approach?

Old 11-22-2002, 10:35 AM   #2
drizzt_19
Tribal,
Welcome to the forums. Leaving your corn alone for a couple days is the right approach. This will give him/her time to adjust to their new surroundings. Hatchling corns always seem to be nippy at first but as they get older they calm down.IMHO

HTH

Old 11-22-2002, 12:24 PM   #3
Rainey
Tribal,

Welcome, it's good to "see" ya here! Yes, you should definitely leave it for at least 3 days and then try feeding it and then I would say to start handling it for short periods of time.

Don't let the bite scare ya though. Keep it up and don't stop learning about your corn.

Old 11-22-2002, 07:50 PM   #4
tribal
Thanx for the advice guys, much appreciated i'll let u kno how it goes.

Old 12-02-2002, 05:44 PM   #5
tribal
Thot id drop a line to say he has got alot better now and will now freely go thru my fingers, sill a bit frisky but id rather that, reminds me he is a wild animal, also he is alot more active in his viv which is kool too thatnx for the advice again, im gonna learn to love corn snakes again

Old 12-03-2002, 09:59 AM   #6
Rainey
That's great to hear! Keep it up!

Old 12-13-2002, 05:17 PM   #7
blito
thats great
i`ve recently got my first corn ,introduced it (her?) into its new viv and pretty much let it be until this morning. Woke up, checked tank temp (cool but tolerable) and picked up Chione just to see what she would do.. and she was fine. She felt warm to the touch and was lively without being too jittery.
Came home from work and keep getting her out of tank for a few minutes every hour- she seems real calm and happy for me to handle her now
i think it just goes to show just how different Corn`s temperaments can be!