• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hand taming?

CornSnake Fever

Hello everyone,
How often a day must you hold your snake ? I love my snake but I sometimes I don't handle her as much as I think I should. I just don't want her to be mean and afraid of my husband and I. I love her so much she my first Snake .
Thanks, Ellie's proud mom.

If your snake is new, then you shouldn't be handling it for a couple of days so that it can calm down a bit. Also after eating, you wouldn't want to hand it too. I'd say at least 48 hours, some people would say 24 is alright....but I have seen them regurgitate after 24......

If it's new and that you are now allowed to handle it (after those days that you are not to handle them mentioned above) then handling them for 5 min the first few times. Once it doesn't look or react as odd to you, then you can increase the time to 10 min and so on. If it 'runs' or 'jumps' away from you, then it's still properly still not very used to your handling. I can now let mine out for more than 2 hours without having any trouble.....but still there are a few that doesn't like me touching them (a yearling that hasn't been handled much).

Anyway, hope this helped.

Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Tell you the truth I only really hand Ruby a few times a week, cus normally she'd either have food in her stomach that needs to be digested or she's due to go the the loo and she'll crap on the carpet or something if she is out. But when she is she really enjoys it and doesn't want to got back into the vivarium.

But I rarely handle Lord Daimond because he was a rescue snake and isn't used to handling, hell he wasn't even used to eating!! So he gets uncomortable and aggressive when handled. He doesn't bite but he makes fast, scared movements. He's just content to have Ruby and regular food. So I leave it as that.

It depends if your snake is adventurous, if it's like Ruby, it'll be snorting down your ears, resting on sunglasses, tangeling in your hair, climbing in and out of your shirts and so on.

But if you did just buy your snake, you should really give it a week or so to settle down but feed it, and watch it.

:) Just two cents I picked up here, but you can put an unwashed clothing item on the cage so the snake gets used to your smell.

Hope that helps!!

Colleen

Thank you Colleen I will try that . Thats the same thing you do with a puppy or a kitten. That a neat idea I will try it.:D :cool:
Thanks,
Ellie's Proud Mom:)

I put an old t- Shirt on top of the cage and I think it is working . For the last four days Ellie has been a little more relaxed with me when I go to pick her up . Thank you Colleen it was a good tip .

Ellie's Proud Mom:)

Glad it helped!!

Do you have a pic of her to post? Love to see everybodies BABIES!!!:D

Colleen

PS Just today I found out something Very interesting about our girl. We always wash our hands before picking her up, and only having her 4 weeks now, we have been using the same frageranced soap. Well it ran out in the one bath so I put out a new and diff. smelling one. SHE actually struck at me when I put my hand in the cage!!! The same girl that usually comes out of her hide to play on my fingers!! At first I thought she must be sick or something then I remembered the new soap! Went to other bath rewashed with old soap and tried again. She came right out and onto my hand!! So I guess I can't just buy whats on sale anymore!!!LOL Something to think about when your trying to get them used to you, they go by smell and apparently she thinks I smell like wild flowers!!

Last edited:
That is actually kinda sweet. Unless she never gets past that!? hehe what happens if that brand of soap is not in production anymore LoL :)

sleeping with the light on....

BIG, HUGE, MOVING, SCARY WILDFLOWERS GRABBING AT ME..... AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! i'm gonna have nightmares tonight... ;) ...jim

after awhile

after i had had my corn for quite awhile and he was used to me i started having other people around some too. and eventually i started letting him go over to other people. now it doesnt matter who is around or what is going on around him he is calm. originally i did it in case i ever had to take him to the vet. now its just nice to have him calm and happy. just a thought for down the road.

HEHEHE JIM

That is just what I got to thinking about!!!! Oh my she thinks I'm a flower!! :) Oh well, I guess it could be worse! I actually started washing my hands and waiting awhile so the fragrance isn't as strong.

Gotta wonder what they think of all of this!

Colleen

A quick note on socks. . .

That may be one of the better clothing items to stick in there. The feet are one of the (obvoiusly) most 'scented' parts of the body! But seriously, I just read somewhere that the reason dogs like to chew shoes is that they are attracted to the concentrated 'human' scent, so maybe the stronger the scent the better? Also, if I were a snake, I'd find a sock pretty cozy to curl up in.

Back