CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

Michael

Old 10-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
Twolunger
After Irma my brother sent pictures of what was left on his street, and there wasn't much but huge piles of debris. He helped his neighbors sift through the rubble of their former homes to find valuables or keepsakes. He said one of his elderly neighbors was sitting on the ground crying. That was understandable, but when my brother told the guy that FEMA would help, but he needed to contact them immediately, the guy said he already did and they won't help. He said the problem was that he had homeowner's insurance, and he has to pay out thousands of dollars under the provisions of his policy and FEMA won't get involved. It's ironic that FEMA quickly helped those without insurance, but those who had insurance ended up worse off than those without it.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #12
Rich Z
Still no power at the house.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:39 PM   #13
Twolunger
Oh bummer. Hope the generator has enough power to run the air conditioner.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #14
Nanci
That would be miserable. A whole house generator would be so worth it. I'm set for a couple days with my solar "generators," but after that it would get old.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #15
Twolunger
When we stayed at my nephew's place in Ft. Lauderdale the power went out for a few days. Now I know what a Thanksgiving turkey feels like. I couldn't sleep for 2 days and was well done when we finally got home. The bad part was that Irma passed right through our area and our power was only out for a few hours here.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #16
Rich Z
Well, the generator worked like a champ. But it only runs the other buildings and not the house. It was bought for the SerpenCo business to keep the animals alive during an extended power outage.

Connie and I bailed out on Tuesday and headed over to the east coast of Florida (Palm Coast). Just got back this afternoon, and power had just been restored this morning. Had a friend checking the place for us, and I told him that as long as the generator was running, then power was still out. So power was out for nearly 5 full days. We were coming back today, regardless. Staying in a motel like the Hampton Inn gets old after a while.

Just had some large branches at the top of a water oak tree (I think that is what it is) snap off and fall in front of the carport. Lots of debris everywhere shaken out of trees, of course. But no damage anywhere that we have found yet. So we were lucky.

I highly recommend evacuating when things like this happen. It's pretty stressful worrying about losing your house, but it would be a WHOLE LOT more stressful if you are still in it while thinking that might happen.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #17
Rich Z
Someone on one of my other sites posted the link to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ofAJSqpLM

That is Toucans in Mexico Beach. Connie and I have eaten there before. But looks like that won't happen again, as Michael appears to have just wiped it off of the map completely.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #18
Twolunger
Sounds like a good time to rewire the generator into the house. There's nothing to cool in the outbuildings is there?

Back in 1992 my son, brothers, and I were always flying down to the Keys to fish. We rented a modest ranch style home built on pillars on Big Pine. It was on a double lot with mature citrus and banana trees surrounded by chain link fence to keep the deer out. We found out the place was for sale, so ran to the real estate office. The house and landscaping were beautiful, so we were going to buy it with our partnership. Unfortunately, someone bought that house just an hour before we got there. Hurricane Andrew was on the way, so we quickly flew home. It was a good thing we didn't buy the place as Andrew ripped off the roof and siding, and completely leveled the lots, down to bare ground.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #19
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Sounds like a good time to rewire the generator into the house. There's nothing to cool in the outbuildings is there?
That would be a good amount of work to do. The generator and the propane tank would need to be completely relocated to be closer to the house. And then we would not have the water pump getting power.

So I think the way it is will suffice. Worst comes to worst, we can just set up cots in the old reptile building and camp out there for the duration.

Which reminds me, I need to check to see how much propane is remaining in that tank. Might need to get it topped off.

Does anyone know the practical lifespan of propane when stored in a tank?

Old 10-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #20
Twolunger
The experts say propane can last indefinitely, however, the tanks usually need recertification. I read that tanks now have to be recertified after 10 years instead of 12. I had a 1,000 gallon tank in Michigan and the propane company refused to fill it because it needed recertification. Then I reminded them that it was their tank that I was leasing, so I soon had a a certified one dropped off.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google